PDA

View Full Version : Tankless water heaters

donnamatrix
01-01-2006, 02:50 PM
We are considering replacing our current electric storage water with a propane tankless water heater. The electric water heater cannot even supply enough hot water to fill our bathtub effectively.

We have been told that the tankless technology delivers as much hot water as you need. Does anyone out there have experience with replacing an electric hot water heater with a tankless heater? What kind of cost savings have you actually seen? Also, any feedback about brands (Bosch, Rinnai, ???) and local contractors who specialize in these products would be appreciated.

Bear Islander
01-01-2006, 04:22 PM
You may be able to get by with a 3 gallon per minute unit. However any other hot water use at the same time means a cold shower. With a 6 gallon or more per minute unit you can take a shower and run the washing machine at the same time.

If your electric hot water heater is in good shape you can leave it connected before the tankless and turn off the circuit breaker. Then if you ever want all the hot water in the world, or you run out of propane, just turn on the breaker.

phoenix
01-02-2006, 10:46 AM
i currently have one and constant hot water. Plan to replace the boiler and unit this spring with new ones. Usually any plumbing company or the propane companies can do it. we will get quotes from both

codeman671
01-02-2006, 04:18 PM
We looked into the Rinnai Continuum and thought that it was a great system. Endless hot water, multiple venting options and a reasonable price. In the end we did not go with one as our contractor was not familiar with them and we did not have the time to bring in an outside contractor so we went with a standard tank system. If for some reason mine ever had to come out this would be my choice. RD Plumbing in Laconia does Rinnai and could probably help.

The plumbing side of it would be quite easy, its one pipe in and one out plus a propane hookup and a vent.

SAMIAM
01-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I've used one of the gas models for years.It's wall mounted,taking very little space and produces tons of hot water.The only issue is after a few years the pilots and burners sometimes get carboned up due to the frequent on and off.
I think I'll try they electric model if I ever replace it. I think they are more reliable and,while a little more expensive to run....are still a big savings over the standard storage tank.Also,a a good plumber can piggyback them so that you draw the hot water out of your tank before the instant-on unit kicks in.Good luck....I think you'll like it.

ApS
01-22-2006, 06:57 AM
I might "go" with a tankless hot water heater—now that I have this problem:

My 120-volt "Reliant" hot water heater is stuck on "hyper-heating" the water—it's now coming out scalding-hot! A mini-breaker, with a red button (located adjacent to the heating element) occasionally will trip to the "off" position.

I adjusted the thermostat down to as low as it would go, but there's a flimsy plastic limiter keeping the arrow from going past its pre-set "coolest" setting. The hot water temperature didn't change.

Should I just break off the flimsy plastic piece to rein in this energy-waster?

fatlazyless
01-23-2006, 06:56 AM
For 15-20 dollars, you can replace the electric heating element that is usually accessable. Under the small plate on the side of the tank, it is held by four screws. The element gets corroded away with use and too hot water is an indication that it is due to be replaced. NH is a hardware store heaven with very well stocked stores everywhere and mighty Wal-Mart does not carry water heater replacement heating elements. Bring in the old element for a match-up and mail me twenty dollars for this advice!

SIKSUKR
01-23-2006, 10:50 AM
APS,FLL could be right but I would suspect the thermostat.I'm not familiar with that water heater but on most brands that I've seen the thermostat is easy to replace.

loony
01-25-2006, 04:26 PM
I am also interested in an electric tankless hot water heater.

For those who have one, do you know if they can be easily winterized by simply draining them, or do they need to be flushed with anti-freeze?

-loony

ApS
01-25-2006, 07:00 PM
I went ahead and broke off the thermostat "limit" tabs, and turned the thermostat way down. I have to wait a day or two as the water inside is still too hot to see if this test will produce non-scalding water. The breaker is off.

"...APS,FLL could be right but I would suspect the thermostat.
But somebody has to do it...

"...I'm not familiar with that water heater..."
...it's a tankless job...

:)

islandAl
01-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I use them and love them. I have a small 120v version at each bathroom sink and provides instant hot water with no wasted heating of pipes. Larger 240 v models for kitchen and clothes washer.
Winterizing // I use a small portable air compressor like those you might carry in a car. and blow the unit dry. drain the line feeding in and insert the plastic adapter used to blow up swim toys into the flexable hose end and let the unit vent into the sink. Turn the faucet valve on and off to build and release pressure to blow out. Has worked for 10 years with out any problems. I have to do this several weekends as I am on an island and do not leave heat on when away. So for a few weekends in April to mid May and Mid October to November the system gets shut down. Only takes a few minutes each time and save the anti freeze ($) for the drains.

hazelnut
01-25-2006, 09:06 PM
I tried installing an electric one. I had a friend of mine who used to be in the heating business help me. Make sure you know if your electrical system can handle it. Some of those heaters draw a ton of electricity. You might be popping straining your system if you run it and say, a washer, microwave etc.

In the end I went with a 20 gallon electric tank. If I had 200amp I would have gone with the tankless electric.

Kamper
03-01-2006, 08:22 PM
If you decide to fix the old one your self, remember it give the thing plenty of time to cool after switching it off at the mains.

When I'm at the lake and need hardware I've had excellent service at the TrueValue on Paugus Bay. I bet they'll have what you need.

SIKSUKR
03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
APS....Did you ever get an answer to your problems?With the water heater that is!!

Airwaves
03-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately I had to buy a new conventional hot water tank last spring but does anyone know if these tankless jobs are available for propane and what the cost is vs a conventional unit?

KPW
03-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately I had to buy a new conventional hot water tank last spring but does anyone know if these tankless jobs are available for propane and what the cost is vs a conventional unit?

I have a Rinnai (sp?) continuous propane water heater. I paid about $2,000.00 3 years ago.