PDA

View Full Version : Canoe & Children

canoe
10-12-2005, 09:37 PM
I would like to clarify, put to rest, and dismay any viscious rumors regarding children at CANOE. FIRST AND FOREMOST, CANOE IS CHILDREN FRIENDLY. We have 5 dinning rooms totaling 200 seats, we have high chairs, booster seats and offer a childrens menu. We reserve 1 dinning room with 50 seats for adults only. This is our one and only policy regarding children. I hope this clarifies our policy and puts to rest any rumors regarding this issue.

Sincerely,

Scott Ouellette
Owner/Chef

gman
12-08-2005, 05:17 PM
What age is considered an "adult" for the 50 seat room? Thanks.

JDeere
12-09-2005, 06:08 PM
I think it is curious that Canoe (Scott) has to spend so much time defending itself against criticism. I have not noticed another restaurant in the area attract quite as much controversy as Canoe……………….IMHO.

With the Loves opening their new restaurant in March or so things should get interesting.

phoenix
12-09-2005, 06:22 PM
where will the new Love's restaurant be

JDeere
12-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Behind the car wash in Center Harbor.

Pineedles
12-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Oh Gawd, there's a car wash in Centre Harbor? Looks like I'll have to move deeper into thewoods. :laugh:

Mee-n-Mac
12-09-2005, 08:04 PM
I think it is curious that Canoe (Scott) has to spend so much time defending itself against criticism. I have not noticed another restaurant in the area attract quite as much controversy as Canoe……………….IMHO.

With the Loves opening their new restaurant in March or so things should get interesting.

I'm not sure that Canoe has had more than the usual share of criticism. All of what I would consider the "better" restaurants in the lakes region have come under some criticism (ask Samiam). Our experiences there (Canoe) have been positive. "Mee" still raves about her sushi dinner (different though comparable to the Capitol Grille in Boston in "tastyness"). We've had mixed experiences at other restaurants (some OK, other times very good). Given time I'd predict our experiences at Canoe would fall into line with the other very good restaurants in the lakes region (hopefuly not though :rolleye1: I'd like some good natured competition). The restaurant business is really hard, with small profit margins and dependant on varying help. Given the well deserved reputation that the Love's have, we eagerly await any venture they might have. Which, I say with some salivating, is what ?? :coolsm:

JDeere
12-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure that Canoe has had more than the usual share of criticism.

Seems that there have been numerous service related complaints. The one thing everyone agrees on is the food is good but I think it fair to expect a restaurant to have good food and friendly, polite, accommodating service. Seems to me that most of the complaints center around those issues and policy related issues. I do not remember anyone getting more forum time on these types of concerns but that is just my observation. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

ACutAbove
12-10-2005, 10:51 PM
I would like to know how the owner of a buisness can come into a forum, to talk about one of his policies, and people dishonor him by talking about a new rest. thats comming. In my opinion its just not right to do this. I f anyone would like to talk about about a subject like that please start a new forum.

Pineedles
12-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Seems that there have been numerous service related complaints. The one thing everyone agrees on is the food is good but I think it fair to expect a restaurant to have good food and friendly, polite, accommodating service. Seems to me that most of the complaints center around those issues and policy related issues. I do not remember anyone getting more forum time on these types of concerns but that is just my observation. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

In my September, 05' post I spoke to the food, which to my VERY discerning palate was excellent, but also the service of which I was totally satisfied with as well. These constant negative posts seem to be a vendetta against this restaurant which is undeserved, but in the interest of free speech would like to know from you dissatisfied customers, WHAT WILL SATISFY YOU ALL? Stop the pan reviews and let me, as well as others read what will satisfy you! Up here in Centre Harbor we don't have all the amenities that come with a big famous port like Alton Bay or the Weirs or Wolfeboro. We like the fact that we are small and mostly unrecognized ( After all the Mount used to come here 7 days a week now only once.) BUT, we lost the Coe House this year, and I as well as others don't want another superior restaurant to have to find other quarters. This is not directed to any ONE individual but if the shoe fits BACK OFF, or be explicit in what your aim is! What do you want to see this restaurant close, or a free dinner?

Signed, Disgusted

JDeere
12-11-2005, 08:02 PM
What is your agenda??? Are you related to Scott? If people have gone there and had a bad time then they have every right to post it. Just because you have not had a problem does not mean that one does not exist. I am disgusted with your post since it is clear you have not read or understand the complaints. Seems you can only hear one side of the story. As for the absurd line of “What do you want to see this restaurant close, or a free dinner?”

I want neither since I sure will not eat there again but do hope that they change to a more customer driven restaurant. No matter the Love’s will; force the change on way or the other.

The forum allows people to post their opinions and experiences. Glad you had a good time there. Curious though as to how many times you have been there?

Pineedles
12-11-2005, 09:15 PM
As you have questioned my agenda and my relationship to Canoe; I can state that my agenda is keeping a good restaurant in Centre Harbor and that I have no family or financial relationship to the people who run, own, or work in this restaurant.

Having cleared up what my interest is I move on. Have the owners not fully addressed the complaints? Are you still not satisfied? Will you go back to see if your objections have been rectified? Or do you wish to remain the icon, the beacon of omnipotence warning the weary traveler of the awful fate that awaits them?

As I said in the posting that angered you so, "but in the interest of free speech would like to know from you dissatisfied customers, WHAT WILL SATISFY YOU ALL.." So, I am not saying that you don't have the right to post, but resurrecting your complaint over and over again seems to be going overboard.

Whatever. No matter what you respond with, I shall exercise my right not to respond.

Resident 2B
12-11-2005, 10:18 PM
From my family's experience, Canoe has great food. However, when they are busy, as they are on all summer weekends, they place families with children, in our case ages 10, 16 and 18, in the bar and not in the main dining room.

I believe they have every right to do this and that I have every right to express my dissatisfaction with this treatment.

A bar environmet is not an appropriate environment for teenage and pre-teen children and Canoe does not give you any choice to sit in their dining rooms instead of their bar when you check in. You have to wait to see what you are going to get. Since the best dining room is off limits to children, chances are better that you will end up in the bar with children, than if you were there without children. If you get the bar and do not want to sit there, you go back to the bottom of the waiting list with no guarentee of getting a seat in one of the dining rooms when you get to the top again. We call it the Canoe lottery.

I realize there are some people that think this is an appropriate policy. I have no problem with this. However, I feel that other families with children should be made aware of this policy. By the way, from personal experience, this policy seems to be enforced more when they are busy than when they are not busy. It is also clear that Canoe has a good enough business to have a policy like this without worrying about the small amount of business they lose due to this policy.

It would be great if they would tell us when the children's exclusion from the dinig room is in effect and at what age the children are allowed to dine in the main dining room.

We love the place, it's food servers and the dining room environment. However, we find it hard to enjoy a family dinner in the bar with four or five people at a table no larger that 28" in diameter with loud and often "adult" conversations going on four feet from our kids. To boot, we are paying the same for the dinners at the bar as if we were in the dining room, and when you are paying Canoe prices for four or five plates, you expect better treatment.

JDeere
12-12-2005, 08:45 AM
This was the original post that started the apparent war between Pineneedles and Jdeere.

I have been to Canoe several times and agree that the food is good. But their attitude towards problems will eventually bring them down. I had dinner with my wife and 2 friends. One of the dinners was not cooked as it was ordered. The person picked at it but ultimately decided it was too raw to eat. I know that the food could have been sent back as soon as it was noticed but that never works out well since everyone else is eating and the dinner usually comes back in worse shape. Anyway the person in our party told the server that the food was raw. The server agrees but comes back and says there is nothing that they will do about it. As we are leaving Scott is out front and the person tells of the undercooked food. Instead of apologizing Scott explains that the food should have been sent back to be cooked more and then goes on to tell how food is cooked. No idea where he was going with his story. There was no disagreement that the food was not cooked as ordered so why the story? The mistake was his not the customers.

I have never been in any restaurant where a customer makes a legitimate complaint or even an illegitimate complaint and both the server and owner do nothing about it. The person in our party was not looking for a free meal but something should have been offered. I know the restaurant is more than busy enough not to care about the lose of 4 customers but I believe in the adage that if you do something right for a customer you will be lucky if they tell one person of how good you were but do something wrong and you can be sure that person will tell everyone they meet.

Canoe responded with "I do remember speaking to you last night and I did apologize, I would have gladly taken the steak off your bill if it was sent back and you didn’t want us to recook or replace the meal."

So, that I can put this to rest my beef is very simple. First, Scoot never talked to me since it was not my meal. It was the couple we were with. Second, the meal was untouched and when the waiter came to the table and asked why she did mot eat it she said it was too undercooked. Third, the waiter asked if he should tell the chef and she said yes. Fourth, no one is looking for anything from Canoe but I guess we are all curious how the owner will respond. Waiter comes back and says she should have complained sooner and he hopes this does not mean we will not be back.
Sixth, as we leave Scot is out front and my friend says hi and tells him she was the one with the raw beef. Still not looking for anything but some acknowledgment that Scott goofed. Instead we get a roll of the eyes and told that the meal should have been sent back sooner.

Now I understand and agree that the meal SHOULD have been sent back sooner BUT I am sure all would agree that in 99% of the restaurants that they have eaten in the restaurant would have done something for the guest because that is what they are suppose to do. The roll of the eyes which all of us saw was the main problem. Scot’s reply on the forum was not accurate to all of our memories.

Somehow this turned into a battle between me and Pineneedles. A person who ate there for the first time on 9/27/05 and is now an expert on all things Canoe.

To canoe I wish nothing but the best of luck but have posted because criticism might effect a change. Bottom line is maybe Scott was having a tough night or maybe he thought someone was trying to get something for nothing. The only thing I know was that his response that night was not the right way to handle it.

phoenix
12-12-2005, 12:53 PM
I posted a survey a few months ago on the best restaurant on the north lake area. Canoe and Woodshed basically tied for first. I am glad that the Love's are opening a new one so we will have more great restaurants in the area. When I went by either the Woodshed or Canoe this summer there were a large number of cars in both parking lots. So most people must find them both realy good or maybe as Yogi once said they are both so crowded no one is going to them anymore. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but on average they are both great. And to Scott thanks for trying to make a great place better.

Pineedles
12-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Canoe's excellence is now being posted. One cautious post at a time. Don't be afraid... Let everyone know whether you had a good or a bad experience at Canoe. Free Speech is what it is all about. If your experience was good let us know, and tell us why it was good. I've already addressed the accusation of others that I am was connected with this restaurant and my answer was "NO CONNECTION". It has been said that I should "get a life". Well I have one, and as a business owner I don't like seeing other hard working business owners getting smeared by self serving rich upstarts that feel as if they have the right to defame others because they are part of the elite class that has earned the right to pass judgement on others. To be fair, if your dining experience did not live up to your expectations of what you expected let that be known as well. However, in the case of some posters, once is fine, twice is tolerable, three times is questionable, a fourth, well a fourth is bordering on a real problem.

JDeere
12-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Well this thread is certainly a testament to Dons’ patience because clearly PN and I have hijacked it and it long ago stopped being about Canoe. PN seems to get upset if I say I do not care for the place yet every time I do he comes charging with how excellent it is..........and we go back and forth. Guess we both have too much time on out hands but the one question the PN will not answer is how many time has he dinned there? It takes several trips to really form an opinion even for a man or women with the discerning pallet of PN.

To Scott, I will say I am sorry since I have explained my criticism in full and I wish him luck.

I do get a kick out this battle between PN and myself because for all either of us know we could be arguing between two 12 year olds or 2 old men with Alzheimer’s who have not been out of the home for awhile.

valhala
12-13-2005, 01:02 PM
My family and I go Canoe on a year round basis, and have always enjoyed the dining experience. Sometimes just two adults, sometimes with family and friends. But, in the summer months, if we have a large party, we call ahead. Otherwise, we try to make it an early dinner to beat the crowds, say 5:30 or so. The food and service have always been great. But, you need to know that during the busy summer season and fall season, seating can be tough in all the locally well known restaurants. We don't go as often during the summer, just because of the crowds. But, we enjoy eating there in the quieter winter months. It must be overwhelming to deal with lines out the door, and a full house on some of those crazy nights. So, let's just admit that everyone makes mistakes, and we all have bad days. Gosh, I'd hate to have my mistakes re-hashed over and over again.

luna
12-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Three weeks ago I went to Canoe with my 6 year old daughter and another adult. The food was beyond excellent and the staff very accomodating. The service was a little slow...it would have been great if I had only been with the adult, although my daughter was fine. We sat in the bar, but far from the bar itself so that didn't seem to make a difference. I would go back in a heartbeat. Keep up the excellent work.

Rattlesnake Gal
12-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Rattlesnake Guy and myself finally made it to the Canoe for lunch today and will definitely be back. The food was top notch with generous portions and the wait staff and hostess were polite and friendly. The personable owner and chef, Scott Ouellette, was helping out in the dining room during their lunch crunch, which says a lot. (Busier than usual due to the rain.)
There were plenty of children in other parts of the restaurant, so don’t let that stop you from coming if you cannot find a sitter.
Personally I am thrilled to have a kid free zone, especially since a crying child dampened our very special 20th Anniversary dinner. (Not at the Canoe or any other Lakes Region restaurant.)
Coincidentally, the same Dude that was pulled over taking pictures the other day on Alton Mountain Road was at the Canoe!
(I promise I’m not stalking you! :laugh: )
If you haven’t been yet, try the Canoe!
Thank you Scott for an enjoyable experience. It was nice to meet you. (Can you guess who I was?)
PS: The homemade chips are scoobylicious! :liplick:
http://www.eatatcanoe.com/menu/lunch.htm

Rattlesnake Gal
12-30-2005, 11:06 AM
If you get the bar and do not want to sit there, you go back to the bottom of the waiting list with no guarentee of getting a seat in one of the dining rooms when you get to the top again. We call it the Canoe lottery.

To the bottom of the waiting list? :eek: That definitely isn't right. The people in back of you should be seated in your stead with you taking the next seat where you want to be.

If I were to go to a restaurant with smoking and non smoking dining areas and seating in the smoking section opened up. I would not be put back to the end of the line. I would be seated in the next available non smoking section.

When making reservations at the Canoe, can you specify which dining room you want and get it?

Resident 2B
12-30-2005, 04:36 PM
RG,

Unless there has been a recent change, the only option we ever had was to get onto the waiting list. Whenever we were assigned to the bar, it was take it or go back to the bottom of the list with no promise of getting a diningroom seat the next time the name got to the top. Not too cool when you have hungry teenagers.

I do not have a problem with a dining room restricted to adults. I think it makes sense. The food is always great in my opinion and the frequent crowds are earned through the good food and the service people.

If he would only do something about a waiting list for someplace for those families that do not want to sit and eat dinner in the bar...:confused:

Happy New Year and thanks for the great photos over the years!

Lockness
01-03-2006, 09:08 AM
I am getting very disgusted with the many negative comments made by J Deere about Canoe. If you do not like it that is your perogarative but enough is enough. It alsmost seems your going out of his way to destroy the reputation of this fine resturant. As far as I am concerned Canoe is one of the finiest resturants in the area and all should be glad that they have some nice place to go and relax. Scott is a fine gentlemen and a person I am proud to say is also a good friend. By the way J Deere what do you do so we can all get on the band wagon and start passing remarks about you?

valhala
01-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Anytime we have gone on a busy night, we have always been asked first by the hostess if we preferred up stairs or the Tavern, before our name was put on the list. Hopefully your experience was an isolated incident, perhaps by an inexperienced hostess.

TomC
01-03-2006, 10:00 AM
If your name is next on the list, and the seat is in the bar area, why couldn't you say "pass", and let the seating opportunity go to the party after you? If you do that, are you saying you go to the bottom? Makes no sense. No one waiting behind a party doing this would wait any longer, and may in fact jump up a notch...

Rose
01-03-2006, 02:02 PM
By the way J Deere what do you do so we can all get on the band wagon and start passing remarks about you?

Not to change the subject, but everyone should remember this remark the next time they're swearing at forecasting meteorologists!

upthesaukee
01-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Cute Rose, always said I wanted to get in the Weather business so I could be paid for being wrong!:laugh: Sorry;) !

JDeere
01-04-2006, 02:32 AM
By the way J Deere what do you do so we can all get on the band wagon and start passing remarks about you?

Gee, I figured from my post you would have known that I am a professional food critic, part time tractor repair human and full time pontificator. Seems to me I made my last post on Canoe awhile ago.

KonaChick
01-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Comments about the Canoe both positive and negative are valuable. It helps others to make decesions about their dining choices! Lockness I'm sure it's not fun to read negative comments about your friend but when you're in the service industry as he is you have to be prepared for that (as I'm sure he is). The only way to make things better is to read what people don't like and try to improve on it!

BlackCatIslander
01-18-2006, 10:35 AM
On Saturday evening, we had a fine meal at Canoe. Our group included six adults and four children. I had never noticed before but there is a room just to the right of the entrance that is suitable for groups with children. Although, the Woodshed is my personal favorite our family, children and grandchildren do enjoy Canoe.

gman
01-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Scott - What age is considered an "adult" for the 50 seat room? Thanks.

Winni
02-09-2006, 04:02 PM
When Canoe first opened, we went and did not like the food much. We had been hearing that it had improved. One thing we also liked about the "old" Coe House was its policy on children, i.e. older children and only if they are well behaved. When we heard Canoe had a room for adults only, we decided to try it again.

We dined one evening last week and were well pleased. The food was very good, the room we were in was quiet, and the servings were so generous we took half of each of our meals home for the next night's dinner. The desserts were excellent also, though the barkeep really needs to learn to make a chocolate martini without cream in it! Never-the-less, we were quite pleased.

Please don't misunderstand us about the kids...it's not the children that irritate us. In fact, we are both elementary school teachers and love our work and kids! We also love our own, now grown children. What irritates us is that so many parents these days do not pay attention to their children and teach them manners. If this were really happening, I would have no problem with children in restaurants. Unfortunately, it is no longer the norm.

What I see now is parents totally ignoring their children, letting them yell when they don't get what they want (which is usually just attention) and then reinforcing that behavior, and the worst, allowing them to run around freely. The worst case I ever saw, though, was in a restaurant in Boston where a mother spent the *entire* meal on her cell phone while her poor son, about age 10, sat pushing his food around his plate. He was quiet, but it was a sad sight. How can parents treat their children as if they are "non-people"?

If children are brought to a restaurant, they must have interaction with the parents, be part of the conversation, taught what "indoor" voices are, learn to properly order and use manners. It's not the children's' fault; it's the parents' selfishness and ignorance that causes the problems. I nearly got socked in the face once (honestly, threatened by the parent) when I had to speak to a parent about allowing a toddler to scream continuously about 6 inches from my eardrum.

So, Canoe, I applaud you for having an adults only quiet space in addition to a seperate place where, hopefully, parents will teach their children acceptable social behavior. This, of course, assumes the parents themselves understand the concept!

We'll be back!

canoe
02-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Scott - What age is considered an "adult" for the 50 seat room? Thanks.
we have the age a 13 and older. Thank you for asking

Lake Lady 6
02-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Amen. You cannot blame the children for their behavior when they have not been taught by their parents.

Mr. V
02-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Amen. You cannot blame the children for their behavior when they have not been taught by their parents.

Let's say you are eating dinner and some out of control 6 year old comes over and sticks you in the shin with a salad fork.

Who do you yell at, the little monster, or the parent?

shooter
03-27-2006, 08:08 PM
on any given summer night you can ck out the over loaded parking lot at the canoe, Rest assured the canoe is packing them in ,and I don't think its because of their bad food or lousy service. and if your counting scores I've only had great food and good service at the canoe. cheers!!!:) :laugh: ::

LillithFaewen
04-05-2006, 09:33 AM
JDeere said: "I think it is curious that Canoe (Scott) has to spend so much time defending itself against criticism. I have not noticed another restaurant in the area attract quite as much controversy as Canoe……………….IMHO. With the Loves opening their new restaurant in March or so things should get interesting."

My husband and I have just come up this past weekend, opening up the house and letting that wonderful spring air in!! I haven't been on here in a while, but last night I spent some time reading the posts and I was a little taken aback by what I saw.

I agree with JDeere wholeheartedly. Its more than apparent that in an attempt to drive buisness to their establishment, Canoe seems to think that posting ravenous reviews on here, or having others do it for them will bring them more customers...I think this is wrong and it defeats the purpose of the board to begin with. How are we supposed to get an honest opinion? That's what the purpose of this board is all about! It just doesn't add up to me. And if they have resorted to having others post good reviews about them, it wouldn't strike me funny that they are having others post false information about buisness's in competition.

"Puffing" on a message board or furthermore slandering other buisness's is a very poor way to conduct buisness.

I myself have been to the Canoe and it was good, but it wasn't top notch. Of course the parking lot is jammed, they have 10 spaces at the most!!

I apologize, but I'm not at all impressed.

tricia1218
04-05-2006, 11:49 AM
I am not sure what is making you suspicous of review posts? Which post are questionable?

I have been to Canoe and enjoyed it, because I give a positive review on a Restaurant that you may not have enjoyed, is my review now considered "puffing"? (I am not affiliated with canoe just curious about so called "puffing" posts)

Rattlesnake Gal
04-05-2006, 02:02 PM
My Posts are genuine and they come from someone who has no affiliation to any restaurant. I have not been compensated or expect to get compensated in any way.
Personally, the Canoe is one of my favorite restaurants in the Lakes Region. I haven't been to many others, but I know what I like. We will be going back again and again...
LillithFaewen, in order for us to respect your view and opinions, you must be respectful to ours.

Jan
04-05-2006, 03:07 PM
I think you are way off base with this one Lillith. Just because you don't agree with a review does not make it dishonest. Canoe is considered by many to be one of the finest restaurants in the area, why is it so hard to believe that some would give it positive reviews?

I've reread the Canoe threads and I honestly can't see what you're talking about. There are negative as well as positive comments here. Even JDeere acknowledges that:
Seems that there have been numerous service related complaints.For the record, Canoe is also one of our favorites and most people I know agree. If you don't like it that's fine but I think the reviews here are balanced and informative. Canoe has been criticised as well as praised.

If you have a review, negative or positive, I'm sure we'd all like to read it. I just think it's wrong to accuse others of being dishonest just because they like Canoe.

shooter
04-06-2006, 08:22 PM
it seems aparant to me some folks have it out for the cannoe,so hey if you dont like it go somewere else and good luck to you , ill be savering the fantastic food myself .cherio

BBS2
04-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Anyplace that will adapt a dish for a veg, like the folks at Canoe did for me are OK in my book!! :D Good food, good service, nice atmosphere. What more could you want? We go at lunchtime.. maybe its different later on.

Newbiesaukee
04-07-2006, 09:42 AM
We have been to Canoe over twenty times in the past few years, split between lunch and dinner, usually just a party of two, on a few occasions with small children. The menu is creative, the service very good and the preparation has been consistent. Not all has been perfect at all meals, however, and criticism does not have to be attributed to competitors ( I have no relationship to anyone at Canoe or competitors). I would and will go back. The consistently negative aspect, and it is a real turnoff, is the less than friendly greeting by the older hostess ( a little older than I). She may be a perfectly lovely person, BUT she should not be the first greeter in the restaurant. I am a bit of a curmudgeon and know I should not be doing that kind of job. I believe that many of the complaints about some of the policies at Canoe ( such as the children issue, which is real) are attributable to the hostesses attitude in implementing or explaining the policy. I must state emphatically that I have nothing against her personally just trying to make sense out of some of the criticism and put it into perspective. Dealing with the public is a tremendously difficult job and not everyone can handle it in a pressure situation.

I am sure we all have had the experience of going to a restaurant for the first time with 6 people and half loved it and half hated it. Restaurant reviews are helpful to others only when people can state specifically what they liked or didn't like and why.
Taking it personally if someone disagrees about a restaurant is not helpful.

Nadia
04-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Went to Canoe when they first opened. The only thing I didn't like was my date :p

Speaking of Canoe's, did anybody read about that guy that got arrested for paddling a canoe drunk? He got a BWI!

jeffk
04-07-2006, 09:10 PM
We have been to Canoe many times, including a wedding rehersal party, and have had an enjoyable time and good food. We would probably go more often but it is usually busy and we don't like long waits for dinner so we tend to go to places where we can get reservations and drop into Canoe during the off seasons. Occasionally we have gotten service that was less than optimal but never a serious enough problem to detract from the meal. More like "I wish they had brought our next round of drinks a bit sooner".

To be honest, I can't think of a restaurant that I have been to repeatedly that hasn't had an off night now and then. I only get concerned when I get a repetitive pattern of problems. If that happens I usually take a break from that restaurant for a while and give it another try later on. If the problems persist I take my business elsewhere.

We had an example of a "bad day" at Uno's last week. We like to eat lunch there and for some reason the kitchen was REALLY slow with our food. The waitress, realizing the food was late, was moving quickly to deliver it and almost ran over another customer, spectacularly dropping our order on the floor. The manager and the waitress both came over and apologized and they put in a rush replacement order. We got free desserts that day :liplick: so all's well that ends well.