PDA

View Full Version : Naswa

Sundancer
09-04-2005, 07:00 PM
We had a terrible experience at the NASWA after being dedicated visitors for a few years. They are refusing to honor their coupons in the 2005 Entertainment Book (yes, the ones the kids sell for school fundraisers!). They got the free advertising in the book, and then they turn their backs on them and screw the consumer!!!! It's not so much the couple bucks we could have saved, but rather the lowsy attitude of the owner that is compelling us to give the warning to others.

We were anxious to go the to NASWA for a nice sunny day. When we tried to use one of the coupons (buy one, get second entre of equal or lesser value for free), we were told "Oh, we aren't honoring those" by the owner. She gave us some sob story about how they printed the address wrong, and that lobster dinners weren't supposed to be included (we had only ordered a salad and chicken basket). Then she continued on about how the Entertainment Book salesman was a jerk, blah blah blah.

We were extremely disappointed, and the owner was extremely rude and really didn't give a crap about us. I guess with the $8.00 drinks she figures who cares about a couple of patrons. Well, she won't have to worry about us - ever again. :(

GusMan
09-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at the Naswa...

I would like to offer a different report. I recently spent 5 nights at the Naswa partaking in their Autumn Breeze special... My family (wife and 3 kids) stayed in an efficiency room ( 2 full beds, pull out couch and a full kitchen) and had a wonderful time.

I did notice signs around the beach bar that they weren't honoring the Entertainment Book coupons, but never did ask why.

The food and drink was mostly good (great chicken nachos... lousy lobster roll) prices were what I expected for a resort on the beach. By the way... if you wander up to the bar/restaurant in the main hotel building... you can get an *excellent* Grey Goose martini there!). I also thought all of the bartenders and waitstaff were excellent... they even put up with my two year old son (some even claimed that he was really cute).

I also got to speak with the owners of the resort... Cynthia (I think) and her Dad.. both were very gracious to us.... We were even invited to take a cruise on the Naswa boat! The beautiful SeaRay 34 foot cruiser you see parked at the dock. My kids loved it. I will definitely book the same special next year.

Cheers....

Gusman

SAMIAM
09-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Usually when someone says "It's not about the money".......it is....

BroadHopper
09-05-2005, 10:39 AM
If I remember correctly, there is a state law that all coupons have to be honored up to the date of expiration. Especially if you paid mometery value for it. If it was a paid gift certificate, there can be no expiration date and no maintainence fees. ;)

KonaChick
09-05-2005, 04:28 PM
We have some good friends who love the Naswa spending lots of money and lots of Saturday afternoons there. We never quite understood the lure of the Naswa. The beach is small..it's always elbow to elbow and the view is The Channel Marina. I am missing something?

BroadHopper
09-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, the cabana boy contest the prior Saturday. :laugh:

ITD
09-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Yeah, the cabana boy contest the prior Saturday. :laugh:

Glad I missed that... :laugh:

CentreHarborEric
09-05-2005, 09:34 PM
We go there about 2 or 3 times per summer, and it is not for the quality of the food or drink. Its almost always below average and the service is slow, unfriendly and poor in general.
It is really just a unique place to the lake, a beach bar where you can hang out near the water and people watch. There really isn't much else like it on the lake. Town Docks is a totally different atmosphere.
The go fast crowd usually frequents the place, and their crews always make for good theatre.
One or two drinks, maybe an appetizer and then out of there and back on to the lake...

SIKSUKR
09-06-2005, 12:51 PM
CH Eric nailed it.

Skip
09-06-2005, 03:18 PM
If I remember correctly, there is a state law that all coupons have to be honored up to the date of expiration. Especially if you paid mometery value for it. If it was a paid gift certificate, there can be no expiration date and no maintainence fees. ;)

Perhaps the following two RSAs are of interest. Might be worth a phone call to the Attorney General's consumer protection division:

TITLE XXXI
TRADE AND COMMERCE
CHAPTER 358-A
REGULATION OF BUSINESS PRACTICES FOR CONSUMER PROTECTION
Section 358-A:1
358-A:1 Definitions. – As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meaning:
I. "Person" shall include, where applicable, natural persons, corporations, trusts, partnerships, incorporated or unincorporated associations, and any other legal entity.
II. "Trade" and "commerce" shall include the advertising, offering for sale, sale, or distribution of any services and any property, tangible or intangible, real, personal or mixed, and any other article, commodity, or thing of value wherever situate, and shall include any trade or commerce directly or indirectly affecting the people of this state.
III. "Documentary material" shall include the original or a copy of any book, record, report, memorandum, paper, communication, tabulation, map, chart, photograph, mechanical transcription, or other tangible document or recording, wherever situate.
IV. "Examination of documentary material" shall include the inspection, study, or copying of any such material, and the taking of testimony under oath or acknowledgement in respect of any such documentary material or copy thereof.
IV-a. "Gift certificate" means a written promise given in exchange for payment to provide the bearer, upon presentation, goods or services in a specified amount.
V. "Going out of business sale" means any sale advertised, represented or held forth under the designation of: "going out of business," "close out," "quitting business," "discontinuance of business," "selling out," "liquidation," "lost our lease," "must vacate," "forced out," "removal," "branch store discontinuance sale," "building coming down," "end," "final days," "last days," "lease expires," "we give up sale," "we quit sale," "reorganization sale," or any other advertising or designation by any other expression similar to any of the foregoing giving notice to the public that the sale will precede the termination of a business or the abandonment of a business location.

And.....

TITLE XXXI
TRADE AND COMMERCE
CHAPTER 358-A
REGULATION OF BUSINESS PRACTICES FOR CONSUMER PROTECTION
Section 358-A:2
358-A:2 Acts Unlawful. – It shall be unlawful for any person to use any unfair method of competition or any unfair or deceptive act or practice in the conduct of any trade or commerce within this state. Such unfair method of competition or unfair or deceptive act or practice shall include, but is not limited to, the following:
I. Passing off goods or services as those of another;
II. Causing likelihood of confusion or of misunderstanding as to the source, sponsorship, approval, or certification of goods or services;
III. Causing likelihood of confusion or of misunderstanding as to affiliation, connection or association with, or certification by, another;
IV. Using deceptive representations or designations of geographic origin in connection with goods or services;
V. Representing that goods or services have sponsorship, approval, characteristics, ingredients, uses, benefits, or quantities that they do not have or that a person has a sponsorship, approval, status, affiliation, or connection that such person does not have;
VI. Representing that goods are original or new if they are deteriorated, altered, reconditioned, reclaimed, used or secondhand;
VII. Representing that goods or services are of a particular standard, quality, or grade, or that goods are of a particular style or model, if they are of another;
VIII. Disparaging the goods, services, or business of another by false or misleading representation of fact;
IX. Advertising goods or services with intent not to sell them as advertised;
X. Advertising goods or services with intent not to supply reasonably expectable public demand, unless the advertisement discloses a limitation of quantity;
X-a. Failing to disclose the legal name, street address, and telephone number of the business under RSA 361-B:2-a;
XI. Making false or misleading statements of fact concerning the reasons for, existence of, or amounts of price reductions; or
XII. Conducting or advertising a going out of business sale:
(a) Which lasts for more than 60 days;
(b) Within 2 years of a going out of business sale conducted by the same person at the same location or at a different location but dealing in similar merchandise;
(c) Which includes any goods, wares, or merchandise purchased or received 90 days prior to commencement of the sale or during the duration of the sale and which are not ordinarily sold in the seller's course of business;
(d) Which includes any goods, wares, or merchandise ordered for the purpose of selling or disposing of them at such sale and which are not ordinarily sold in the seller's course of business;
(e) Which includes any goods, wares, or merchandise consigned for the purpose of selling or disposing of them at such sale;
(f) Without conspicuously stating in any advertisement for any such sale, the date such sale is to commence or was commenced;
(g) Upon the conclusion of which, that business is continued under the same name or under a different name at the same location; or
(h) In a manner other than the name implies.
XIII. Selling gift certificates having a face value of $100 or less to purchasers which contain expiration dates. Gift certificates having a face value in excess of $100 shall expire when escheated to the state as abandoned property pursuant to RSA 471-C. Dormancy fees, latency fees, or any other administrative fees or service charges that have the effect of reducing the total amount for which the holder may redeem a gift certificate are prohibited. This paragraph shall not apply to season passes.
XIV. Pricing of goods or services in a manner that tends to create or maintain a monopoly, or otherwise harm competition.

SIKSUKR
09-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Skip,all I wrote was that CH eric was right on on his veiw of the naswa.But I will chime in on this one.I've wrote here before about exactly what you posted,that any gift certificate that one pays for MUST be honered without a time limit.The reference in sundancers post was to buy one get one free meal coupons.I don't know how those would equate to actually paying money upfront to an establishment for a gift certificate,but I don't beleive they are veiwed the same.When I buy a fundraiser coupon book from D'Angelos or Wendy's,there are the same 2 for 1 or 2 dollars off certificates.It clearly says on those that there are no actual redeemable value.That probably puts these in a different catagory.

The Big Kahuna
09-07-2005, 07:56 PM
If there is a mistake in the language or intended gift do to a miss printing the gifter does not have to honor the gift.

tricia1218
09-11-2005, 02:52 PM
We stopped for lunch and a drink at the NASWA , I thought I would be safe and order a taco salad, it is a beach bar after all. BIG MISTAKE, I did not notice until after I had ordered the description of the taco meat was mexi-meat, not ground beef, but mexi-meat! I do not know what would qualify as mexi-meat, I could hardly get past the color or texture of the meat to try it, it was inedible. I will stick to drinks at the NASWA.

Aquadeziac
09-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Maybe 'Mexi-' was NASWAese for 'Mystery'

Cal
09-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Mexi-meat may vary day to day depending on the local road kill :laugh: :laugh:

gravy boat
09-29-2005, 06:44 PM
For what it's worth, I haven't been to the NASWA in about 5 years. Things may have improved, but based on this thread I doubt it.

As a local my view (based on personal experience) is that the drinks are overpriced, the food is mediocre at best, the warm welcome non-existent.

However, to be fair -- some people enjoy overpaying for watered-down drinks while watching the self-impressed arrive in huge boats with their gold-digging hoards.
The place has its allure.

Bet the IRS doesn't tap most of what's raked in.

Gravy

glennsteely
09-29-2005, 10:54 PM
I always thought the food was great, too young to speak on the drinks back then, we did take a spur of the moment trip for a weekend in the fall 3 or 4 years ago and stayed there, cant comment on the resturant quality on that trip cause we spent all of our time up in the high country checking out the views, we were only there for the room and beds......

KevinPlante
10-09-2005, 08:42 AM
I've been to the Naswa more times than I can count and have been disappointed only a few times. I'll go back.

SAMIAM
07-02-2006, 09:48 AM
I give the Naswa a big thumbs up.If you want peace and quiet and to be one with the loons......it's not for you.......and I'm speaking of the beach bar.Kind of reminds me of a few of my old haunts in Ft Lauderdale and the keys.Lot's of cool boats,nice sunsets,drinks and music.
When I hear people complain about $8 drinks,I know they don't have a CLUE about what it takes to run a restaurant.I'm only guessing,but I'll bet I'm pretty close when I estimate their liquor liabilty insurance at $40,000.....and how about workmans comp. Maybe another 25 grand,and,oh yes...lets not forget around $2,000 daily payroll.food cost,band,huge utiliies,mortgages and taxes......rooms and meals,payroll,biz profits etc etc.
My suggestion to those who whine about pricey drinks is very simple.Buy a bottle,bring it home and drink by yourself.Or better yet....open your OWN beach bar and sell drinks for $3 or $4 :liplick:

jetskier
07-04-2006, 01:59 PM
We stopped by this past weekend and ordered the nachos. Stale chips with rubber chicken and rubber cheese...YUK! It is a great place to mellow out on the lake, but I think we will stick to the beverages, the food has become awful.

Jetskier

Sally
07-06-2006, 03:48 PM
The Naswa is indeed a unique place...

I was there a few weeks ago and ordered the chicken nachos with my husband. When we placed our order, our server responded with "I wouldn't order the chicken here." So we just skipped the food altogether and enjoyed our one drink, then left to eat elsewhere. I figured the server knew best!

bobio
07-12-2006, 08:02 PM
The atmosphere is great for a weekend causal hangout for boaters. The music is great and the dock hands do a great job. For years people have been complaining about the quality of the food. I can't understand why they haven't made any improvements to their food quality. The drinks are pricey but I realize that this is a seasonal business and the cost of doing business is crazy. I will continue to go there but I will avoid the food until it gets better.

hazelnut
07-12-2006, 09:40 PM
bobio I second that opinion. I will make my once MAYBE twice a year visit to the Naswa again. I consider it a unique spot to people/boat watch, grab a quick mudslide and "see ya later." Anyone looking for a gourmet meal should head to the tons of lake are restaurants for that. I do recall getting a chicken sandwich or a burger there before and all it did was fill a hole. Nothing special. Drink prices are what I would expect for the "location, location, location."

Kevin C
07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
I have eaten at the Naswa Beach Bar several times and have taken many family members and friends as well. But when we order, we order off the menu from the restaurant upstairs as opposed to the beach bar menu. Much to our suprise the food from the restaurant was fantastic. The calamari was to die for. The stuffed haddock dinner superb. I would agree that ordering from the beach bar menu is just average but the setting as the sun goes down is priceless.

ossipeeboater
07-13-2006, 11:04 AM
I have eaten at the Naswa Beach Bar several times and have taken many family members and friends as well. But when we order, we order off the menu from the restaurant upstairs as opposed to the beach bar menu. Much to our suprise the food from the restaurant was fantastic. The calamari was to die for. The stuffed haddock dinner superb. I would agree that ordering from the beach bar menu is just average but the setting as the sun goes down is priceless.

beach bar menu is what you'd expect from a beach bar but the italian menu is good. Not a huge calamari fan but the Naswa's is awesome and everything else I've had off the upstairs menu has been good.

mets3007
07-13-2006, 11:27 AM
I ate breakfast there a few times. I dont consider it good or bad just meh. The bagels and muffins are good but the pancakes you can get better ones at Ames, Friendly's or Lakeside . The Oatmeal is good either it was clumpy and very small. It does have a nice atmosphere but its nothing to brag about. I never went there for dinner because there isnt anything on the menu that I like.

GusMan
07-13-2006, 12:25 PM
I'll chime in again!

I can echo most of the comments that have been posted since my last post. The beach bar food isn't gourmet... But the kids like it and the setting cannot be beat.

One thing I do want to comment on are the comments that the Naswa isn't kid friendly. Sure.... the nights that have live bands and the bikini contest are no place for children, the rest of the time it's a pretty mellow place where the kids can be kids .. and can take a dip in the water!

Last year we took advantage of the Naswa's "August Breeze" promotion. The last week of August, you could book any of their rooms for half the weekly rate for staying Sunday through Thursday night. We had a phenominal time (2 adults, three kids) for the grand total of $599 for a large efficiency room (kitchen). Included was free in water docking for my bassboat (see how much that costs at the Margate!), free use of kayaks and paddleboats, a wonderful free cruise around Govenrnor's Island on the Naswa (34 foot Searay, I believe) with the owners of the Naswa and a couple discount coupons for onsite dining.

I only mention this because I've already booked this year's August Breeze special for a bearchfront two-bedroom cottage!!! Cannot wait to head back up there.

Cheers....

Gusman

Kevin C
07-13-2006, 01:41 PM
http://www.naswaresort.com/menu-dinner.html

Dinner menu...yum

jetskier
07-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I have heard that the food upstair is good. So, why can't they serve the same menu or some modification from the upstairs kitchen? For what they charge, this would be a welcome improvement. I am sure that the clientele would be supportive. The food downstairs is much worse than airline food and I know since I am on the road pretty much every week. :)

We did the Easter Seals Poker Run this past weekend. The buffet made my wife sick...I thought it was ok, but we did not eat the same stuff.

Kevin C
07-13-2006, 04:53 PM
I have heard that the food upstair is good. So, why can't they serve the same menu or some modification from the upstairs kitchen? ff.

They do have the dinner menu available at the beach bar. But I thinks its after a certain time of day.

Diver1111
07-14-2006, 08:40 PM
I'll make it brief as I really don't want to get into negative stuff on the Forum but I'm compelled to offer an extremely simple solution-assuming of course the books complied with the law. Printing problems they claim they had are not your problem. They did this to you because you let them do it to you.

Head straight to Small Claims Court. Pay a $60 filing fee. Sue for the max. under NH law-$5,000, regardless of the amount at stake for you. They should get fried in court and you will be compensated accordingly. If they don't show up-and you should hope they don't-you win $5K by default. If they ignore the order to pay file a Motion For Payments ($15). If they ignore that slap a lien on theirand sit tight while a copy of the court order you should send to the Laconia newspaper simmers in the public eye. Not to mention attracting the attention of all the other good people who got stiffed by them.

If you live far away hire a local attorney and sit back. Add in their costs, of course.

KonaChick
07-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Ok I'm not a big Naswa fan as I've posted so keep that in mind while you read the following. Setting?? I'm hearing that you can't beat the setting? What's so great about a small strip of beach, directly across from Channel Marine..where kids in dirty diapers play in the water while a waitress serves me terrible food and overpriced water downed drinks? What am I missing here? To be honest I haven't been in 2 seasons now going on my 3rd. Have they bulldozed the place and started from scratch? I'm confused... :confused: What is it (besides the babes in kini's) that keeps people going back? Is it really the slice of heaven that some people are describing here? I'm curious....

jrc
07-17-2006, 06:40 PM
... What is it (besides the babes in kini's) that keeps people going back? ....

Isn't that enough? The Naswa is a nightclub/singles bar with sand. It's a place to see and be seen. It's not my speed, I'm old, fat and married but if you're young, trim and single, where else would you go?

It's in NH so they have to serve food, it doesn't have to be good food.

KonaChick
07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
The several couples we know who love it there are all pretty much old and married ( I'm not going to comment on the girth size ;) ). They always ask us to come along and we politely refuse...so it's not like it's all young people all the time. I still don't get it.

Waterbaby
07-18-2006, 08:37 PM
The several couples we know who love it there are all pretty much old and married ( I'm not going to comment on the girth size ;) ). They always ask us to come along and we politely refuse...so it's not like it's all young people all the time. I still don't get it.

My husband and I love it there, have for going on years now, and so do some other "pretty much old and married" friends we have who frequent the place. Yup, drinks are expensive and yup, food isn't that great (though I like the buffalo chicken fingers, but a definite pass now on the burgers!). My take on it is where else can you dock your boat, walk barefooted and swimsuited up the dock for drinks, have the kid in the water and have a good time with friends? (Talking Lake Winni here.......) There are weekends we don't and won't go there anymore (Bike Weekend, Bikini Contest weekend, etc.) when it gets out of control, but with those exceptions it's our destination late afternoon. Guess it's one of those things, you love it or hate it! It's all a matter of personal preference, I guess! :rolleye2:

jetskier
07-19-2006, 10:56 AM
I agree that the atmosphere is very unique and the NASWA is a wonderful place to cool the jets during the summer. Ultimately, this all becomes a revenue issue for them. In the past, you would sit down and run up a bill of $200 on drinks and food. Now, you might run up a bill of $50. Personally, I won't order much/any food and stick to nonalchoholic drinks. So, even with my wife and daughter, the bill does not run what it did in the past.

I have been to the NASWA about four times this summer and my impression is that it is not as busy as in past years. I don't know whether this is due to lighter boat traffic or something else. If it were my business, I would improve the quality of the food, even if it meant charging a bit more. I suspect that the NASWA still makes money hand over fist.

Jetskier

Airwaves
07-19-2006, 12:32 PM
SikSukr got it right, it's a great place to people watch.

We go there with a friend who lives on the lake, usually only stay an hour or so, to listen to whatever they are passing off as live entertainment and people watch. It is a unique place on the lake, I really can't think of another like it.

At OOB I used to go to the Krazy Klam for the same reason (they are gone this year but the Klam's owner tells me they'll be back next season)

Would I go there to bring my boss out to eat and impress him? No WAY, but it's got a nice little Honky Tonk atmosphere.

For the record, I don't know the owner of NASWA personally, but the folks I do know that know her personally say she is not a particularly nice person.

mcdude
07-22-2006, 09:35 AM
NASWA Owner denies racism charge. See article in LACONIA CITIZEN (http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060722/CITIZEN0101/107220242/-1/CITIZEN) (registration required)

fatlazyless
07-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Many times raising the discrimination red flag is very similar to screamin 'whip lash' or 'oh my back, my back' after a tiny weenie automobile fender bender. Is it possible a disgruntled employee may yell discrimination? You bet it is!

Do business or personal liability policies cover for discrimination? Usually, they do not. Are lawyers expensive? Yes, they are.

Having run that NASWA business so well for so long, I think probably the management goes out of their way to be very very fair to all their employees.

SAMIAM
07-23-2006, 08:00 AM
I think these guys have been watching too many Al Sharpton news clips.The folks at the Naswa don't have a racist bone in their bodies......they've been providing jobs for Jamaicans for years.
We also employ and house summer employees under the student/work program but,being from mostly European countries,they don't call you a racist if you have to correct them over some small detail.

gravy boat
07-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Wholeheartedly agree with Fat and Sam!

While not a fan of the establishment, I'm guessing that the owners know what they're doing regarding equal opportunity.

Waterbaby
07-23-2006, 07:38 PM
I think these guys have been watching too many Al Sharpton news clips.The folks at the Naswa don't have a racist bone in their bodies......they've been providing jobs for Jamaicans for years.
We also employ and house summer employees under the student/work program but,being from mostly European countries,they don't call you a racist if you have to correct them over some small detail.

For years, Cindy and Vicky employed many, many Irish gals here on some type of sponsorship program....... Not sure how many years they've employed Jamaicans, I think this is a relatively new program for them, but I know the Makris's have been very good at participating in giving opportunities to those "less fortunate" from other countries.

Pepper
07-23-2006, 11:04 PM
For the past five years we have also employed a good number of foreign students - many of whom were also employed at the Naswa. They worked part time for us, and full-time for the Naswa, where they also resided. Over they years we've employed students from: Bulgaria, Russia, Romania, Turkmenistan, Poland, South Africa and The former Czech Republic. All of these employees have worked hard for us, several have returned for second or third summers, and all have earned a very special place in our hearts.

In late April of this year, four students arriving for work at the Naswa came to us well after closing one night. They'd just arrived in town and were really hungry! We fixed them some cold subs, and enjoyed chatting with them for about an hour. After they left we all remarked on what nice young folks they were! A few days later, they came in looking for second jobs. Having great experience with this relationship of working with the Naswa and their schedules, we readily agreed to hire all four students. Here's what happened ...

One never showed up for work.

One worked for two weeks and told us he had too much work and couldn't continue with us.

One lasted about a month before he started failing to show up for scheduled shifts - and as for a courtesy phone call? Forget it! We simply figured that by the time an hour into the shift had passed, he wasn't coming. After four such incidents I advised him that we no longer required his services.

Finally, about three weeks ago the last one simply vanished! Apparently she simply packed her bags and moved out of her housing without so much as a by-your-leave to anyone. Rumor has it she moved to some other state to look for work. No one knows for sure.

So, I started this season with four Jamaican students on my payroll. None of them are still employed with us. Does that make me a racist? Absolutely not. Could someone fabricate stories about why I no longer have any "persons of color" working in my restaurant? You betcha! Would that make it true? Not a chance. But ya just never know what people are capable of sometimes!

Fortunately, this behavior is NOT the norm for visiting students! Most are truly hard-working, enthusiastic young people who enrich the workplace with their various cultures, and who serve to remind their American counterparts just how lucky they are to be American! ;)

Sadly, there will sometimes be exceptions to the rule.

We are deeply saddened to learn that our neighbor is experiencing such an issue, and especially during the busiest time of the season. Their former employee's statements are absolute HOGWASH, and that's the truth! We hope no further issues arise for them, and that they are successful in quickly moving beyond this nonsense.