PDA

View Full Version : Working hours

Island Girl
09-04-2005, 07:29 AM
What is an appropriate time to being working out of doors in a residential area, on a Sunday running a skil saw? My neighbor out on the island is a very early riser. He often runs noisy equipment as early as 7:15am.

All comments are welcome

Paugus Bay Resident
09-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Many towns (and associations) have ordinances around this. What I've typically seen is 7am - 6pm on weekdays 8am - 9am start on Saturdays and often no work on Sundays. I know of one association that is 9 - 5 weekdays and no work on weekends. This usually applies to contractors, don't know if it applies to homeowners.

7 am on a Sunday seems a bit unreasonable.

Pepper
09-04-2005, 08:39 AM
... 7 am on a Sunday seems a bit unreasonable.

I agree completely! Yikes! :eek:

GWC...
09-04-2005, 02:20 PM
My neighbor out on the island is a very early riser. He often runs noisy equipment as early as 7:15am.

Perhaps your Rattlesnake Island neighbor retires early, as well.

Start a skill saw around 9:30 PM and see how long it takes for your neighbor to request quite.

Then your neighbor will understand your situation.

Also, check with your association's board or read your bylaws. There should be some mention of an appropriate time to start projects on the Island by lot owners.

mcdude
09-04-2005, 04:49 PM
There's been lots of construction around here this summer. It usually starts around 8:00. When one of the construction vehicles backs up it's "Beep! beep! beep! beep!" which echos across the lake. Is this really needed? Who came up with this stupidity? OSHA? Someone nearby let their dog out at 6:30 a.m. recently. The dog barked non-stop for 20 mins before being let back in. The person up above has 3 Yorkshire Terriers. They are usually let out at 7:30 and the three of them "Yip! yip! yip!" nonstop. Does the owner think no one else hears them? Last week it was the renter next door with their Huskie. Tied it to the post on the deck as they went out to dinner for four hours. The dog whined and keened at the top of his lungs the whole time forcing me indooors with windows closed. I had to speak to the owner who apologized but apparently a word to the wise WASN'T sufficient because they did it again two days later. (Hey as long as we're having fun on vacation what do we care about anyone else?) Is it that people are unaware of how their actions affect others or do they just don't care? I swear I was going to tape record the husky and play it back at a very early or late hour. Of course, I would then be seen as the bad guy. This must be retribution for those days when we were younger and sillier and partied on the porch until the wee hours of the morning with the tunes blaring.......

Everyone says to me, "It must be so peaceful and quiet up at the lake" .... think again!

There.....I feel much better.....I'll step down off my soapbox now.....

SAMIAM
09-05-2005, 08:48 AM
I never realized how lucky we are until I listened to Mcdudes story.there is a a vacant lot next door (unsuitable for building due to a stream) the next two houses are delightful summer residents...the only noise is laughter and kids giggling as they swim.They only come up 4 or 5 times all summer.On the other side is two retired ladies.Both sides are hidden from view due to tree cover so we think we are waking up each day in Canada.We don't have much activity until mid morning...just loons and other birds.
Wish I could share some of that peace and quiet with you,McDude.

CEP
09-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Camp rules were: No loud noises before 10am and after 10pm.
Everyday.

ghfromaltonbay
09-15-2005, 11:48 AM
What is an appropriate time to being working out of doors in a residential area, on a Sunday running a skil saw? My neighbor out on the island is a very early riser. He often runs noisy equipment as early as 7:15am.

All comments are welcome

IG,

Your neighbor must be related to mine who cuts her grass on Sunday mornings at 6:45 a.m. This ditz is retired and is home 7 days a week/24 hours a day. Go figure. She does the laundry and hangs that out on Sundays too. Just glad I spend so many weekends at the lake during grass cutting season. Since their lights go out by 9:30 pm, maybe I should play my CD of the 1812 overture around 10 pm out on the back porch. Hee-hee!