PDA

View Full Version : Ice Damage

frank m.
03-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Has anyone out there every tried to collect from your homeowner's insurance for repairs to damage done to your dock by the ice?

Bear Islander
03-28-2004, 11:21 PM
About 8 years ago State Farm Insurance sent me about $3,000 for ice damage to my dock. They did not question the claim or send an adjuster.

Professor and Mary Ann
03-29-2004, 08:27 AM
I asked my insurance Co. (Avery) this question 8 years ago, and the answer was NO., They said that there is too much damage caused each year and the rate would be through the roof if it was covered.
I'm curious on other companies or situations.

Islander2
03-29-2004, 11:56 AM
I also have State Farm, and they would pay if it is removable, or lift out, and it gets damaged, but not a piling or crib (permanent) dock. They said non-permanent docks are covered on homeowners insurance.

shredder
03-31-2004, 10:05 AM
Wow, that makes NO sense to me. If you leave your
temp/pullout dock in and it gets damaged, isn't
that your fault ? Whereas a permanent dock
cannot be taken out and damage would be
resulting from a failed agitator or something.

Islander2
03-31-2004, 11:58 AM
No, they won't cover it if you leave it in, but if you crank it up out of the damaging ices way, and it gets damaged, ie wind knocks it over, or the cable lets go, it is covered. If you have a seasonal, and take it out, and a tree falls on it, it is covered.

But permanent docks are never covered, according to my agent.

fatlazyless
04-01-2004, 08:36 PM
How about this, like what if, what if you have a seasonal dock and you install it into the lake when some but not all of the ice has melted and everything is wonderfull at first: a warm sunny day with no wind and those big fat salmon are cruising your dock and they are so close you can almost touch them. OK, the next day you wake and and your dock is totally missing; seems most likely that a big section of ice blew in from the far side and floated away with your just installed dock. Looking at the ice through the binoculars, you can see pieces of the dock a half mile out there but most have disappeared into the depths. Who you gonna call? What you gonna do? Other than trying to con the Winni Divers guy into running a divers instruction class to retrieve your lost dock later on in July, what do you tell the "good hands" folk at Allstate and what's their likely response? Was I missing something here?

swampit
04-02-2004, 12:05 PM
If you put your seasonal dock in before ALL of the ice was gone and you suffer a loss, they may contend that you were negligent. Fortunately however there are no exclusions that I know of for...no offense here..'stupidity.'