PDA

View Full Version : Will the Record be broken?

SteveA
03-24-2014, 05:52 AM
A quick look at the "oldest ice" from the Winni.com

I think some of the oldest records are in serious danger of being broken.. :confused:

gnemiccolo
03-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

PaugusBayFireFighter
03-24-2014, 06:51 AM
I just think it's too early to tell but I agree it looks and feels like a late ice out.

Starting Friday the cold exits and we will finally be a bit warmer. A week of warm temps with rain and wind is not only possible but probable for the next few weeks. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if mother nature cooperates and a late April ice out is declared.

Merrymeeting
03-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Let the melting begin! While it's 6 degrees here this morning, forecasts show that, come Friday, we pretty much stay above freezing for long periods after that, along with several days of rain. The melting really starts to accelerate once that happens.

As another poster noted, a lot can change in 3-4 weeks once you have those conditions. But it's still going to be a LONG process. Ice fishers yesterday still reporting over 28" in front of my house.

CanisLupusArctos
04-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Yes, it will be a long process unless we get the kind of conditions that would also produce a catastrophic flood. Ice will melt from the edges first but remain thick in the middle even when the shores are open. Strong wind will weaken it by flexing it. Wind pulls the ice pack up and lets it go again (peaks and lulls) as evidenced in time lapse movies on the lake. We still don't want a wind-driven iceout, either, because thick ice chunks floating around in a strong wind will do big damage where they drift (reference: April 2007.)