PDA

View Full Version : Utilities on the islands???

codeman671
02-10-2005, 07:45 PM
What are most people doing as far as propane on the islands? Lugging bottles or having a service deliver? I have heard that there is a company (Randall?) that barges a truck around for fills. Any experiences would help. Also what about internet access? Does Verizon offer dsl on the islands that have phone service?

Pine Island Guy
02-11-2005, 09:39 AM
George Randall that lives on Cow Island does do deliveries and is also authorized by the propane companies to do work on the systems. I've used him for some maintenance and he was very reasonable and reliable! He's at PO Box 6131, Lakeport NH 03247... 603 253 7042

As far as the DSL service, it is the same as it is for the mainland... some are within the coverage, some are not... I'm lucky in that I got it on Pine Island, however "Bear Islander" who's camp is a hundred yards from mine can not get it... Check with Verizon!

I'd like to talk with you further about your building experience...

Thanks!

codeman671
02-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info. Does he charge a standard propane rate plus a barge charge per delivery or does he just mark up the LP? We are trying to decide if it is worth having a large tank dropped or just lug 100lb bottles (not particularly thrilled with this thought).

fatlazyless
02-11-2005, 05:37 PM
The 25 gallon propane tanks which weigh less than 200 lbs will float and can be towed behind a boat. A good place to get them refilled is at the Irving gas station in Meredith, which has reasonable propane prices, and is across from the Police Station. You want to make sure it has the protective & removable steel cap that fits on the top of the tank and protects the shut-off valve otherwise they will not let you refill it. This is a State of NH law. Propane probably weighs about six pounds/gallon, the same as gasoline, as opposed to water which weighs about eight pounds, and thats why a full tank will float. I have never done this myself but have seen islanders moving 25 gal tanks around on the Cattle Landing town dock on a two-wheel hand truck, roll them into the water and then attach a line to their boat for towing out to Jolly Island or some other island.

If you want to pay the highest price in the history of the world for propane then use Amerigas in Laconia, like me, groan!

CEP
02-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Thought I might add something here!
I was going to transport a 100 lbs. tank from my place to have it filled and return back home.
I was told that these tanks should be transported in the stand up position.
There is a rubber seal or gasket in the valve area and if the liquid gas makes contact with this seal or gasket it will deteriate the rubber part and cause the tank to leak! That is why the gas trucks carry them upright and secured to the bed of the truck.
This is what I was told, by the gas company.
I'm not sure if this is true but it would be a good question to ask someone who knows his stuff!

CP

Just Wonderin
02-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Codeman, You'll have to confirm this with George Randall, but as far as I know, you don't have the option of getting one of those large propane tanks if you go with him. George delivers those 25 gallon tanks. He usually makes you take two or three. When you run out, he delivers filled tanks and takes the empties away. A propane truck isn't put on a barge and moved from island to island. If you have the ability, you may just want to be self sufficient...isn't that what island living is all about anyway?

You'll be surprised just how little propane you actually go through. A friend of ours heats and cooks with propane. They had two tanks delivered a few years ago and just went through the first tank this past season. They use their camp from ice out through Columbus Day. Of course, if you spend a lot of time at your cottage during the very cold months, your consumption may be a different story.

Good Luck!

fpartri497
02-12-2005, 06:48 PM
:D
last summer while anchored at wam sandbar, We saw a barge go Into the chanell Into WAM. It was carrying a Propane delivery truck so some co. must deliver to the Islands.

Mink Islander
02-15-2005, 06:25 AM
We use Amerigas -- probably not the cheapest, but for the amount of propane we use, it's really not a factor. Amerigas will fill the bottles at Shep Brown's -- there's a fenced in holding area there for the tanks. Lots of islanders go that route.

I've never tried towing the bottles in the water -- seems like as much trouble as simply stowing them in my 17' Whaler. Really a 2-person job (getting the tanks over the boat rails alone is a challenge). A once a year project. You definitely want a work boat if you have an island place.

As for consumption, we use it for hot water only and use about a bottle and a half a season. We're around most weekends from ice-out to well into November and the family lives there all summer.

DOWISLANDER
04-09-2005, 02:26 PM
George Randal delivered a 500 gal. tank to us in May of 02 & he does put a propane truck on his barge a few times a year to fill peoples tanks. The tank must be within 100 feet of the point where he can dock. We use the gas for cooking ,hot water, heat,& the bar-b-que. I would guess we use 100 to 150 gals. a season. I believe the charge with delivery is twice the cost of the fuel on the main land. I believe there was no charge for the tank.By the way George is a wonderful individual to deal with, he is very helpful, I would highly recommend him.He has helped us many times with various things that always come up with island living