PDA

View Full Version : Any snow on the Ice?

Zee
03-19-2004, 08:59 AM
I am thinking about sledding on the Lake this weekend. Is there sufficient snow to lube the slides? Is the ice still safe? Any troublesome areas we should avoid? Is the ice pulling away from the shore yet? Any advice would be appreciated.

T
03-19-2004, 09:29 AM
I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the current lake/ice/snow conditions are.. I used to go to Winni every summer as a kid and I was thinking of taking my X-C skiis and doing some touring on the lake in the Alton Bay area.. Also, I know I could start around the public docks in Alton Bay, but are there any other places to park and begin between there and Echo Pt or Pumkin Pt.. Thanks in advance...Everyone on this forum always seem to be willing to help with some good advice..

Loafrider
03-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Anyone seen sleds riding around on ice today, hoping to ride on Winni this weekend.

Loafrider
03-19-2004, 03:45 PM
I was wondering the same thing before trailering up for last lake ride. The tree rider just called me for report from Winterharbor. There is 18" of ice in middle of winterharbor, in places it has pulled away from shore he says, some places solid to shore. 2-3" of compacted snow on ice.

Upthesaukee
03-19-2004, 07:47 PM
You could park in the Loon cove area, where 11D meets route 11 about a mile west of Sandy Point.

However, I don't know how good the ice (snow) would be for x-c skiing. The snow we got was only three or four inches, and compacted and melted rather quickly. I live just up the mountain from Keewaydin park, and there is slush under the very top of the snow. You may have to give it up til next year. Also, you need to be careful on the edges of the lake, as the ice can vary in thickness close to shore.

Hope this helps.

Treerider
03-21-2004, 06:04 PM
well Zee I hope you went! It was a great ride! We went up midday Friday, rode around Friday evening on 2" of new snow (from Wed), fished thru 18" of solid ice on Winter Harbor both days, the fishing was slow, but the ice was flat n fast. It snowed about 2" last night and made for great riding today too. We deep fried a turkey on the ice today, then packed up the Bobhouse and got it off the lake. There might be riding next weekend if the weather stays cool this week, BUT the snow will likely melt as it was slushy by 3pm when we headed home. Still plenty of ice for fishing for next weekend, just be careful where you get on the ice...