PDA

View Full Version : winter's impact

Sandy Island fan
02-14-2012, 06:18 PM
I am curious what the weather gurus like CLA, R2B, etc think. What will the impact of the relatively snowless winter have on the lake level this year? I realize that we have had precipitation, but won't have the level of snow melt. Obviously, spring - and summer - rains can't be foretold at this point, but I am confident that these brilliant weather minds will have some thoughts!!

Resident 2B
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM
I am curious what the weather gurus like CLA, R2B, etc think. What will the impact of the relatively snowless winter have on the lake level this year? I realize that we have had precipitation, but won't have the level of snow melt. Obviously, spring - and summer - rains can't be foretold at this point, but I am confident that these brilliant weather minds will have some thoughts!!

I was just thinking about that during the weekend. It all depends on the snow for the rest of the winter, the spring rains and how well the folks at the dam manage the water level.

I am fairly confident the snow will be a minor factor, at best. We can have a wet spring and the dam folks do a great job, so I have hopes that the water levels will be reasonable. However, it is a personal concern.

I am also concerned about the spring brush fire season with not a lot of snow in the woods and the sun working on the fine fuels, the branches and leaves, on the ground.

R2B

Blue Thunder
02-15-2012, 07:05 AM
I was just thinking about that during the weekend. It all depends on the snow for the rest of the winter, the spring rains and how well the folks at the dam manage the water level.

I am fairly confident the snow will be a minor factor, at best. We can have a wet spring and the dam folks do a great job, so I have hopes that the water levels will be reasonable. However, it is a personal concern.

I am also concerned about the spring brush fire season with not a lot of snow in the woods and the sun working on the fine fuels, the branches and leaves, on the ground.

R2B

Agree with you 100% R2B. If we don't get some form of meaningful precip we will have many a Red Flag Warning from NWS.

dpg
02-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Yeah that may be however it's been an awesome winter for the deer population compared to last winter. When there's a constant 2 or 3 feet of snow on the ground it makes it more difficult to get down to any food. Also if I slept out in the weeds under some brush I sure would be enjoying this run of 40 to 50 degree days. :D

Belmont Resident
02-15-2012, 07:29 AM
We have noticed that about the deer. I'm at my camp in Maine and just got back from my 2 mile morning walk for coffee. Lots of healthy looking deer and the moose seen on the trails look much better than last year.
Aside from the deer having a hard time finding food and moving there enemies have a much easier time bringing them down. They tread over the snow much easier and expend far less energy. We have seen much less deer kills on the trails then last year. But with only 1200 to 1400 miles on the sleds we have almost half the millage of last year.
Hopefully the storm for Thursday/Friday drops snow here, without it school vacation will be a big bust for the snowmobile industry.

SIKSUKR
02-16-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm thinking there probably will be plenty of snow to come in late March and April when even the most ardent snow lovers like myself dont even want it.:laugh:

Resident 2B
02-16-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm thinking there probably will be plenty of snow to come in late March and April when even the most ardent snow lovers like myself dont even want it.:laugh:

My guess is you will be proven to be correct. Strange non-winter. :rolleye1:

R2B

Barney Bear
02-16-2012, 03:46 PM
In 1956 there were three snowstorms in span of about eight days or so. The St. Patrick's Day parade in Boston was postponed.

watrskir
02-16-2012, 04:55 PM
In 1956 there were three snowstorms in span of about eight days or so. The St. Patrick's Day parade in Boston was postponed.

Well I hope you guys are right about late snow! I am registered and want to ride. It would really be cool to ride AFTER I get back from bike week in Daytona!!

Resident 2B
02-16-2012, 05:02 PM

I remember that year well. I lived near Boston at the time and we got dumped on. As a famous NY Yankee once said..."It's not over 'till it's over". It could be "like deja vu all over again"!

R2B

Belmont Resident
02-16-2012, 06:34 PM
But at this point I just want to get outside and start my spring painting projects. Its been a rough winter. Not much for painting and even less for snowplowing.

BoSox711
02-24-2012, 04:58 PM
This was the worst winter ever