PDA

View Full Version : Water in cellar problem

Sunbeam lodge
12-05-2004, 12:10 PM
I have a 10 year old home. The PVC drains were installed around the home to drain water from the foundation as there was underground water flowing down to the front foundation and was building up the water pressure. The perforated pipe was enclosed in stone and run down the front and then down the side and then drained out the back of the house which was at a lower level than the front.
This has worked for 10 years. Last week the cellar filled with 4 inches of water. We we have it pumped out to discover that water is entering where the front cellar wall and the cement floor meet. It is still comming through this area. Can anyone recomend someone who is an expert that can correct this problem. I hate to dig around the entire foundation to clear or replace the pipe that is there, especially at this time of year. Is there a company that has equipment that can go up through the existing pipe to determine what the problem is.
I would like to contact someone who could identify and correct the problem
but Im not sure who that would be or how to locate them.
Any help would be geratly appreciated. :(

Pepper
12-05-2004, 11:08 PM
A few years ago we had need to "see down the pipes" to locate a terrible obstruction. We contacted the Laconia "Mr. Rooter" and he arrived with a special Camera Rooter! Sent it down the line and had a clear view of the problem! Helped make the determination of how to proceed with the least amount of disruption!!!!! I would recommend you call him - his number is 524-8484. He's the man for the job. Wish I could remember his name, too, but alas, my age is showing! :rolleye1:

Good luck, and come back and let us know what happens.

SIKSUKR
12-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Just a warning.I just used Mr Rooter in Manchester to clear a 70 ft long storm drain line at my Mill building.For 2 hours work they wanted $1200.Yup,that's what I said,$1200.I balked and said forget it and they came back $350 dollars cheaper.That's still over 400 dollars an hour,obviously outragious but I needed to get it done.The equipment that was used was a hydro-something.High pressure water sprayed to flush out the sand and leaves.For your information. SS

Pepper
12-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Just a warning.I just used Mr Rooter in Manchester to clear a 70 ft long storm drain line at my Mill building.For 2 hours work they wanted $1200.Yup,that's what I said,$1200.I balked and said forget it and they came back $350 dollars cheaper.That's still over 400 dollars an hour,obviously outragious but I needed to get it done.The equipment that was used was a hydro-something.High pressure water sprayed to flush out the sand and leaves.For your information. SS

Eiy Yi Yi! That's outrageous!!!!!! Even though we didn't experience that kind of outrageous pricing, I'd be asking in advance what the fee structure would be if you call the man in Laconia. Hopefully they're not all out of their minds like the one in Manchester! Good luck, and please do let us know how you're making out with this mess.

SS - did you end up having the work done by someone else, or did you pay this insane rate?

Sunbeam lodge
12-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Well,
I called Roto Rooter who said they had enough cable to clear 90 feet of pipe. They sent out a guy who ran a cable up 40 feet of the pipe with no obstructions and then ran into an area that he said was a collapsed section of the drainage pipe. He then checked it with a camera and said he could not get beyond the obstruction but did have a $900 high pressure water jet that could help but could not guarantee it. He charged $369 for his effort. Based on his findings I hired a backhoe and two guys to dig up the collapsed section. Lo and behold the pipe was in intact and in good condition but roots had entered one of the 1 inch perforated holes in in the pipe and clogged it up. You could see where the rooter he used had started to remove the matted roots until he stopped. He removed about 6 inches and had another foot to go. I called him back to come back and finish the job but he refused unless I paid for the job again. We removed the roots and the water flowed freely but I wanted to insure that the problem was finally solved. In my discussion with the manager she said I needed a permit from the town to dig up the drainage pipe and a liscensed plumber to inspect and replace it.
This was not a happy experience. The bottom line. "Be carefull when hiring these guys". Incidentally, she said her process does not clear roots. :(

SIKSUKR
12-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Pepper,I did end up having the work done by Mr Rooter.They were on site and I had a cellar with two waterfalls coming into it.The line need to be cleared asap.I will definately look elsewhere in the future.I don't know how they justify charging those crazy prices except that people like myself pay them.But by putting up a stink and them dropping the price $350,tells me they try and charge as much as they can get away with. SS

Sunbeam lodge
08-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Well what a Mess! My son dug up a section of the pipe last winter when i was in Florida and discovered the contractor had used perforated pipe and tree roots had grown thru the one inch holes and packed the pipe causing the water to back up through the cellar floor where it connects to the wall.
When I returned we dug up about 60 feet by hand and discovered there were other sections where the rooty had done the same thing and it was only a matter of time until the pipes were clogged in those sections..
So be careful when using that perforated pipe near trees .
These pipe sections were down about 3 feet and the roots still found them,
I ended up paying roto rooter but would avoid them completely on any future business.