PDA

View Full Version : Mountain View Station - Ossipee

patman
11-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Short version:

Thumbs-up! We'll be back...

Longer version:

I didn't see a thread on this one, so I thought I would start one. My wife and I had heard good things about Mountain View Station from several people, so we decided to try it last night. It's located in Ossipee (Center Ossipee?) a couple of doors down from the post office, library, and school.

The parking lot was packed at 7pm, which is usually a good sign. It looks very small from the outside, but there is more seating than you would expect. The interior has a lot of wood in it and is decorated with train-related memorabilia, which makes for a nice, very casual atmosphere. We were seated immediately with menus. There's a surprisingly large assortment of dishes on the menu: many appetizers, hot and cold sandwiches, and mains from fried clams to turkey dinner, and steak. Sandwiches ran in the $5-8 range, mains were $9-15(?) if I remember right.

Drink orders were taken shortly after we were seated, and we ordered when the waitress returned with the drinks a few minutes later. I ordered onion soup and the meatloaf dinner, and my wife ordered a tomato-basil appetizer and shrimp scampi.

The soup and appetizer arrived, and both were very good. The soup had just the right amount of onion/bread/cheese in it, and the broth had a very nice flavor to it. The tomato appetizer was consumed in short order, as it was also very good. Tomato and Mozzarella slices with fresh basil leaves and a vinaigrette dipping sauce.

The mains arrived as we were finishing the appetizer. The portions were very generous (we both ended up eating about half and taking home leftovers) and the food was very good. My meatloaf came with mashed potatoes, a couple of strips of bacon, and some really nice steamed green beans. (The beans were a nice surprise, I thought we had seen the last of good tasting beans when the farm stands stopped selling them.)

My wife enjoyed her meal as well, and we decided it was definitely a do-over place. The desserts sounded wonderful, so we ended up getting a piece of chocolate cake to take home. The bill came to $38 for 2 sodas, 2 appetizers, 2 mains, and a piece of cake.

We had the cake later that evening (and added some chocolate ice cream) and it was absolutely delicious.

They are open at 6am for breakfast (going to try that next, I think) in addition to lunch and dinner.

Great:
The cake was...sinful. Very good onion soup. Very friendly and attentive waitstaff.

Good:
Decor, nice friendly atmosphere, very casual.

So-So:
Parking is tight, but after hours you can park at places that have closed.

Bad:
Nothing I can think of

RLW
11-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Short version:

Mountain View Station

Thumbs-up! We'll be back...

:)Great:
The cake was...sinful. Very good onion soup. Very friendly and attentive waitstaff.

Good:
Decor, nice friendly atmosphere, very casual.

So-So:
Parking is tight, but after hours you can park at places that have closed.

Bad:
Nothing I can think of

I loved the way you wrote your review on the Mountain View Station. It has made my wife and I want to give it a try in the very near future. I especially like the way you rated the restaurant. http://i39.tinypic.com/o9n9f8.gif and http://i39.tinypic.com/15firux.gif

Rusty
08-22-2015, 10:26 AM
Has anyone tried this place lately and what would your review be?

minni on winni
08-22-2015, 01:30 PM
We had relatives living in Ossipee and frequently ate out at this restaurant in the summer and fall of last year. It is just as described.Excellent service, great portions of delicious food and very reasonable prices. Our family moved out of the area this past spring so we haven't been there this year. However after reading about it we will go back there on our next trip north which is later this week:liplick:

tis
08-22-2015, 07:04 PM
We have heard how good it is for years and finally tried it this summer. In fact we went back again this summer. It is as good as everyone said.

mcdude
08-23-2015, 07:35 AM
see menu here http://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/menu.php?id=2901933

Tired of Waiting
08-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Cause the review will increase the crowds and make it harder for Mrs ToW and myself to enjoy the GREAT food.

Eat there all the time when up at the lake.

If you like good people and good home style food at a good price you'll like the "train Station."

It's still as good as it has always been!!

ToW