PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storm -- 6" snow in time for Halloween?!

This'nThat
10-28-2011, 05:34 AM
I don't want to spook anyone, but this is scary stuff: Winter storm watch for Saturday, 29 Oct. Over 1/2 foot possible.

Some of the gory details for Saturday: * Impacts... heavy wet snow... at times wind-driven... will result in appreciable excess weight on trees that still have leaves. This will likely result in tree damage and subsequent power outages. In addition... a burst of heavy snow during the night will almost certainly stick to roads despite it still being October. This will result in very slippery travel. Reduced visibilities are expected.

RailroadJoe
10-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Monday is Halloween, should be gone by then.

Belmont Resident
10-29-2011, 07:50 PM
While not a lot are in I noticed several boats while driving to Christmas Island this morning. Many had cockpit covers on them. I wonder if they will hold up with all the snow forecast?

Bear Island South
10-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Ours held up, I am glad we didn't get the 12" inches others did.

This'nThat
10-30-2011, 08:35 AM
I think everyone got around 12-15 inches of snow from this storm. Luckily, it melted on contact with the ground, which is why most people are only seeing 1-2 inches as they wake up this morning.

DickR
10-30-2011, 11:02 AM
I would have left my boat in a bit longer, but I too was worried about a half a foot or more of heavy wet stuff damaging the top, so I pulled it yesterday. I guess that ends summer.

Belmont Resident
10-31-2011, 05:06 AM
I think everyone got around 12-15 inches of snow from this storm. Luckily, it melted on contact with the ground, which is why most people are only seeing 1-2 inches as they wake up this morning.

We got 16-18” in Belmont and I was plowing that or a little more in Gilmanton with 20 at one of my higher elevation customers. Just down the road in Laconia they got maybe 10” although channel 9 said 13.
I waited till yesterday late morning to plow my Laconia lots and it was down to about 6”.
As of this morning the snow on the ground in Belmont has only lost about 3-3 inches of depth.
I cannot believe that Bear Island got that little. I wonder if the lake temp had something to do with that.
Hopefully Moultonborough had the same results. We have 2 job trailers on site and I’m not looking forward to shoveling a spot for my ramp to drop down this morning.

VitaBene
10-31-2011, 09:23 AM
We got 16-18” in Belmont and I was plowing that or a little more in Gilmanton with 20 at one of my higher elevation customers. Just down the road in Laconia they got maybe 10” although channel 9 said 13.
I waited till yesterday late morning to plow my Laconia lots and it was down to about 6”.
As of this morning the snow on the ground in Belmont has only lost about 3-3 inches of depth.
I cannot believe that Bear Island got that little. I wonder if the lake temp had something to do with that.
Hopefully Moultonborough had the same results. We have 2 job trailers on site and I’m not looking forward to shoveling a spot for my ramp to drop down this morning.

You will be shoveling!!