PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Boulevard - Hawaiian Ice

Sunrise Point
07-21-2011, 06:18 PM
We visited the Sunset yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed our first Hawaiian Ice. We chatted for a while with John, the owner, who showed us several vintage Winnipesaukee photos and postcards displayed on the walls.

We stopped by again today while we were out doing errands and tried another flavor of ice. We opted to take it out to the truck and enjoy it there. After a few minutes, John came out smiling and said something like "you shouldn't be throwing money on the floor" and proceeded to give me a $20.00 bill that had fallen from my pocket!

I highly recommend Sunset Boulevard. :liplick:

Pepper
07-21-2011, 06:38 PM
LOVE that place! It's hard to believe the same space was an office not long ago. They've done a fabulous job creating a Hawaiian Oasis inside! A unique, refreshing treat served with a smile, AND you get to enjoy those amazing sunsets, too. I think I need to stop by again on my lunch break tomorrow! :D

brk-lnt
07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Where is it?

Lakesrider
07-21-2011, 07:22 PM
So I want to try it, but was wondering if they use a crushed or chopped ice, or is it actually shaved ice? there is a big difference in how it is made. Shaved ice is much smoother.....:D

Sunrise Point
07-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Sorry, I should have included that info. It's on Weir's Blvd. (route 3) about halfway between Donna Jean's Diner and Shaws Supermarket.

Lakesrider
07-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I want to stop in but just curious...do they use crushed ice or is it actually a shaved ice. Shaved ice is very smooth. Just wondering which type of ice they use.

brk-lnt
07-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Sorry, I should have included that info. It's on Weir's Blvd. (route 3) about halfway between Donna Jean's Diner and Shaws Supermarket.

Thanks, surprised I hadn't noticed it already since that's usually the area that I am in frequently.

MarkinNH
07-22-2011, 06:49 AM
We just drove by there yesterday and I was thinking that we should have stopped and checked it out, after reading this thread we will most definitely stop.

fatlazyless
07-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Last Friday, July 15, was freebie day at Hawaiian Ice, so is there any chance of a repeat freebie-friday, next week, as a promo-business booster for everyone who missed the first freebie?

FormulaBRW
07-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Been there twice they used bagged ice and it is shaved but not extremely smooth there is still a little pebble character to the ice. The prodcut is great and they even have sugar free for those of us who need it.:laugh:

A great alternative and resonably priced instead of the standard ice cream we traditionally go out for.

The owners and staff are always helpful and there are many great flavors.:liplick:

winniplayhouse
07-22-2011, 10:49 AM
We tried it too and it got big thumbs up from three little girls... not to mention their moms! I couldn't believe how big the bowls were. My daughter couldn't finish the small and asked me to put the rest in the freezer for her! I tried to explain it would turn into one big block of ice but...

joann721
07-22-2011, 01:49 PM
so what were your flavor choices ?

Going to stop by the weekend if their ice hasnt all melted :laugh:

Pepper
07-22-2011, 07:03 PM
so what were your flavor choices ?

Watermelon! Oh, Yummmmmmmm!!!!! :D:D:D

Sunrise Point
07-23-2011, 08:14 AM
I have tried the Pina Colada and the Bahama Mama. Both were excellent.

We are going to work our way though the list of flavors on future visits. I am torn between Watermelon or Lemon & Lime for my next visit. They also have Mocha and Chocolate flavors which sound pretty interesting.

Mr. Sunrise Point would love to see "adult" versions for most of the flavors, you know, the kind that you need an ID and a designated driver for. :laugh:

dragonfly03246
07-23-2011, 12:59 PM
We agree! It's a great refreshing stop on a hot day and John & Brenda are always willing to sit and chat for a while. Very nice couple with a great little shop and nice prices!

Wish I was there
08-16-2011, 10:12 PM
We have tried the creamcicle with a bit of whipped cream- it was great!
Also fabulous was the almond joy- coconut, with hersheys chocolate syrup and almonds.
You can leave refreshed and guilt free a lot less fat/calories then traditional ice cream!!

Wonderful friendly owners make it all the better!

See ya Saturday!

NHBUOY
08-17-2011, 08:03 AM
I was there yesterday too. A great place, owned by a great guy.

Pepper
08-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I was there yesterday too. A great place, owned by a great guy.

His wife is pretty awesome, too! ;)

BLG
07-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Now serving 26 flavors:)

New machine ---actually shaves the ice.

We have Yogi's mmmm

Steamed Hot dogs

Lobster Rolls

Open Monday - Thursday 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Friday & Saturday 12:00-9:00 pm
Sundays 12:00-8:00 pm