PDA

View Full Version : Old postcards

Upthesaukee
03-07-2004, 08:38 PM
If you haven't already done so, check out the photopost area for "mcdude" 's collection of old post cards of the lake area. Great collection, fine job of scanning and posting, and I hope to see you on "Antique Roadshow" one of these days. I suspect that you may some fine value of this collection of "Americana". Keep the postings coming. Maybe webmaster can set up an area for your postings of post cards.

Bruce Smith
03-08-2004, 10:26 AM
I agree with Upthesaukee, those post cards brought back many memories as I spent the summers in Alton Bay during the 40's and played with the McGrath kids around those boat houses and worked (at least spent time) at the Reptile Zoo. I can't remember all their names but one of those girls shown on the left, her name is Dorothy. Keep up the great postings. Now living in Arizona, being able to view scenes of such a great place brings me a lot of pleasure.

Jersey Girl
03-09-2004, 11:28 AM
My dad used to hang out with the McGrath's in his youth - a long time ago, now. I remember the old McGrath's next to Busy Corner, or whatever it is called now. Still miss it, too.

Gotta check out those postcards to see if there are any I don't have. I, too, have a pretty good collection - got most of them on Ebay.

Jersey Girl

Bruce Smith
03-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Today Ernie Gillan's Marine sits on the site of where McGrath's once stood. I was away in the military when it happened but as I understand it old man McGrath went in the store to open up one morning and when he turned on the light the place blew up, evidently from leaking propane.

Cal.
03-10-2004, 07:17 PM
The most remarkable postcard was "A view from the porch". It was postmarked July 29,1953. I was there,straight ahead at Sandy Point the week before. My Dad always took the third week of July for vacation. I spent many vacations there with lots of great memories. I love those old postcards.

Jersey Girl
03-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Bruce,

That is exactly what happened as I understand it, but I think Gillan Marine (which was originally the rebuilt McGrath's that, sadly, failed) is on the lot next to the one where the first McGraths was located. I remember that lot before all the trees grew up there. My dad tells me the same thing. It doesn't matter really. Sad either way. Sort of the reason I gravitate towards the old postcards. Hard to give up on the old days. Seemed simpler and nicer somehow. No Bike Week either.

Jersey Girl

GWC...
03-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Yes, but they still held the Rally and all its rowdiness and loudness.

How else is it possible to have celebrated the 80th Laconia, NH Motorcycle Rally in 2003???

P.S.- When was the last time a car was burned at the Weirs. Things have improved.

John
03-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Prior to gillians was a pizza joint. While I recall Mcgraths as a young man, I also know that after the fire they eventually moved to the village. I would have thought that Busy Conor or whatever they call it now would have prospered because of that fire. But it appears that they still struggle, and will more if the new grocery store goes in at alton circle.

Bruce Smith
03-11-2004, 03:25 PM
John,
Yes, prior to Gillans Marine it was a pizza shop and prior to that it was and gun and fishing tackle shop and Ernie Gillan owned them all after buying the place from the McGrath's.

Upthesaukee
03-11-2004, 06:55 PM
I think it was called Woody's, and the pizza was quite good, as I recall.

Back when Buzy Corner Store was owned by the Butlers, it did quite well. I think John Dufek and his wife did a fine job running it as well. Unfortunately, the succeeding folks just don't seem to have been able to make a go of it successfully. Current owners have been closed all winter. Too bad, the "mom & pop" atmosphere was always nice at Buzy Corner (Now the Alton Bay Market.).

Ahhhhhhh, Memories!!!!!!!!

mcdude
03-12-2004, 07:28 AM
apparently they are not doing well. It is up for sale. Too bad....I thought the bakery was great.

http://www.curryrealtorsnh.com/property/property.php?PropertyID=95321

Rattlesnake Gal
03-12-2004, 10:18 AM
That is a shame. The bakery was excellent. I hope whom ever buys it keeps it up in a similar way.

Bruce Smith
03-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Yes you're right, it was called Woody's, I forgot that. I remember asking Ernie, when I knew his name wasn't Woods or something like that, who Woody was. He told me he was a partner who didn't work out or something to that effect.

Jersey Girl
03-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Actually, I think Busy Corner/Alton Bay Market has been for sale for a couple of years now along with the Pavilion. The bakery is quite wonderful and they have lots of good T-shirts and sweatshirts at good prices. Hope someone with a feel for tradition and history buys it.

Jersey Girl

fp
03-15-2004, 09:11 PM
and lets not forget their deli, best sub sandwiches I ever had

Cal.
03-15-2004, 11:31 PM
My wife loves the place. I offered to buy it and move up there but she said she couldn't handle the winters.

fp
03-16-2004, 11:25 AM
todays union leader: bob bahre plans a new supermarket over by mcdonalds at the traffic circle in alton. while it may be good for the community, how will it affect the small mom & pop stores in and around alton/ alton bay? will they be able to survive? unfortunately probably not. it seems like poor bob was inconvenienced last year by having to drive allll the way to gilford for some groceries.

fp

Rattlesnake Gal
03-16-2004, 12:06 PM
The current owners shut down after Labor Day right now. Maybe that would work for you?

Cal.
03-16-2004, 07:08 PM
But islanders and other boat owners couldn't make it to the traffic circle by boat.

Cal.
03-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Not sure I could handle the winters either. Our ice is gone now and trees are getting color to them. Two more weeks , maybe three , the engines are going back in the boat and lett the season begin.

Rattlesnake Gal
03-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Lucky! That sounds so nice. Send some of that up our way please. How far south are you?
I am so anxious for a nice warm spring. Winters here seem to be getting longer and longer as I get older. ~ Not that I am that old.

Cal.
03-17-2004, 10:04 AM
South Jersey. Not to rub it in , but it was 60 degrees here Monday. Of course it SNOWED yesterday.

madrasahs
03-17-2004, 11:02 AM
I've been mailing these old cards to old lake friends. (And using my old 25¢ New Hampshire stamps to mail them).

The post office requires 1st class postage (37¢) on cards sized smaller than 3½ X 5 inch. (Many old cards are slightly smaller than 3½ X 5 inch).

Some of those old postcards are pre-stamped with uncancelled 1¢ stamps!