PDA

View Full Version : parasailing

louis
03-07-2004, 10:12 AM
last year we stayed at the half moon cottage and i was wondering if anyone knew of any parasailing on the lake, thank you the langlois family

Mark McNulty
03-07-2004, 04:37 PM
I don't think I have ever seen anyone parasailing on the lake. I have seen various gliders in the air over the lake...but no parasails. My guess is that the lake would be tough for parasailing. The only are where you have long lengths to run at high speed is in the broads...and that can get pretty choppy and be busy with boat traffic. I just think it would be very, very challenging to do during the summer. It is not like you have a long stretch along the shore like places in Florida or the Caribbean have. I may he wrong, but I don't think they have it and I doubt you will ever see it.

Aquadeziac
03-07-2004, 08:00 PM
There were some that went out of the Weirs about three years ago but they stopped, I believe it was an insurance liability thing. I remember it because my son went on a ride with them.

GaryM
03-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Actually, there was parasailing at the Weirs several years ago. I'm thinking it must have been almost 10 years ago and was there for a couple of years. They would gather at the Weirs dock and circle the bay out front. They had a large deck boat as a launch platform and a speed boat to do the actual towing.

GWC...
03-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Parasailing has happened at the Lake - Paugus Bay and later at the Weirs.

Short season, high insurance rates, and low fares were probably its undoing.

The Lake is a tough arena to "break-even" for a seasonal business with frugal tourists and locals.

Mark McNulty
03-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Well...very interesting. You learn something new every day! Thanks for the info...

Belmont Resident
03-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Not to mention the ever increasing amount of boats on the lake. Tough to keep someone up while obeying the 150' rule especially in Paugus Bay or at the Wiers.