PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Specialty Drinks

thatleslie
03-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Here’s a scenario…A person goes to a Lake’s Region restaurant and orders a specialty drink. This said drink is very clearly described on the menu and happens to be one of the restaurant’s best sellers. The guest takes one sip and decides they do not like it. My question is…should the guest still be expected to pay for it, or should the restaurant have to take the loss. What do you think?

Newbiesaukee
03-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Unless the drink is not as advertised or is "spoiled," then, IMO, the restaurant has no obligation to "make good" on it. Some restaurants might as "good business." When that happens we all indirectly pay for it, and I, certainly, wouldn't pay for someone elses poor drink choices.

camp guy
03-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Since you said the specialty drink was clearly described on the menu I'd say the guest was expected to pay. However, the server might decide to not charge for the drink if it seems like an honest mistake, but one snappy word from the customer and that deal is off.

Personally, I don't do specialty drinks, and I have never been a bartender, but if the drink was clearly described on the menu then caveat emptor.

Heaven
03-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Take the drink back and offer another no charge. It's a no-brainer.

brk-lnt
03-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Short answer: The restaurant should take the loss.

Longer answer:
In any business you always have to account for some amount of loss, shrinkage, uncollectable accounts and so on. In the food service industry there is the inevitable dine-n-dash, picky customer, non-tipper, etc. If the cost of a single drink throws off your margins so significantly that you can't afford to give it away, your problems are much bigger than that one drink.

People are fickle when it comes to food and drink. While the description of the drink is helpful, you could have a drink described as: "An 8 oz. plastic tumber filled with 6 ounces of warm tap water, with 2 ice cubes and a lemon wedge". At some point, someone is going to order that drink and expect to get 12oz. of spiced rum in a champagne flute, with an umbrella. And they're going to be indignant that what you served them didn't match the description.

Ideally the establishment suggests an alternative drink for the customer, based on feedback about what they did/did not like about the drink and keeps the "sale", while exchanging the product.

IMO, it's rarely worthwhile in the long run to fight over what is probably $5 or $10, in ANY situation, as a customer or business owner.

But, that's just my opinion.

Jmo77011
03-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I agree with Heaven. I was a server and bartender for years, and I'd rather have a happy guest stay (and come back) than an angry one leave.

jrc
03-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Unless the customer is a real jerk and obviously trying to pull a fast one, then most business will replace the drink. Customers are too hard to find.

My Dad was in the restaurant business, if the customer didn't like the food or drink he would replace it, no questions asked. He would not refund their money unless the food was "bad" but he would always replace it.

OK now tell us the rest of the story...

Argie's Wife
03-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I also used to bartend, and the customer is always right... (unless you're shutting them off from another drink and they're arguing...) ;)

Besides, when you consider the actual cost to produce the drink, you must admit there's quite a profit that can be made on drinks. It makes more sense to replace that $7 froo-froo drink that really cost about $2 to make, than it does to tick-off a customer....

Like JRC said.... So, what really happened? Methinks there was a problem about a drink and it wasn't replaced or taken off the bill... am I close?

Pricestavern
03-20-2011, 12:48 AM
The business takes it back. The customer didn't like what they were served and said so after just a sip; it wasn't as if they drank the lot and then made thier feelings known. Unfortunately, ordering an item described and have said same item delivered 'as described' is not always the case.

hazelnut
03-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Look at the drink like you would look at an entree or any other item on the menu. You take it back and make the customer happy. Ask yourself this question. Is business THAT good that you can afford to have one unhappy customer walking out the door squawking about a restaurant that didn't take a drink back? Seriously, how much money does one drink cost the restaurant? A few cents worth of booze and you want to risk it?

Unless of course the customer has had like more than half the drink or something I really don't understand why they wouldn't take it back.

Is there more to the story here?

ishoot308
03-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Any reputable establishment would take the drink back in a minute and make their customer happy. Now if you drank the whole thing then complained, your on your own! :eek:

FWIW;

Dan

Rattlesnake Guy
03-20-2011, 01:07 PM
And if the waiter corrects a problem despite our willingness to deal with the poor choice ourselves, the tip gets much bigger. And we are likely to come back to reward the owner for the policy.

Jonas Pilot
03-20-2011, 01:46 PM
... When I was a kid out dining with my family, if I had ordered a drink that I didn’t like my mother would have said, “ Too bad. You ordered it, you drink it.” And that would be the end of it.

Pontoon Goon
03-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I cannot imagine sending back a drink or anything else in a restaurant because I made a bad choice. Chalk it up and move on. That being said, I am at work right now and I just took back a custom made table because the customer envisioned the apron 2" shorter in height and she just can't get past it. I smiled through the whole thing and we are building a new table for her this week. The one thing I have found is the companies who have not made through these hard times are the ones who have not made customer service a top priority.

Nagigator
03-20-2011, 04:37 PM
I cannot imagine sending back a drink or anything else in a restaurant because I made a bad choice. Chalk it up and move on. That being said, I am at work right now and I just took back a custom made table because the customer envisioned the apron 2" shorter in height and she just can't get past it. I smiled through the whole thing and we are building a new table for her this week. The one thing I have found is the companies who have not made through these hard times are the ones who have not made customer service a top priority.

Smart move..........

SAMIAM
03-21-2011, 07:27 PM
We have a policy at the VK for any complaints.......it is an opportunity to make a new friend.Doesn't matter who's fault it is.If something is sent back to the kitchen it is the managers responsiblilty to see that it gets top priority....even if we have to "steal" a meal from another party that is just coming out.
Sure,we've had meals come back that we know were perfect......but to argue the point just costs you a customer .Give them your full attention,an apology and make it right......most will appreciate it and come back.

chipj29
03-22-2011, 06:57 AM
I fully agree with Samiam's policy. Do what you can to make things right.

However, there are people who will try to take advantage of your good nature. As a manager or owner, you get to knowing who these people are, as they will come back and try it again.

I have in the past "shut off" customers who did this. A family used to come in at least 3-4 times a month. Every time, without fail, they would send something back. I would talk to them and address their concerns as best I could. After realizing that it was not possible for us to make them happy, I simply told them that since we could not meet their needs, maybe it was time for them to find some place else to eat. Of course I said that as nice as possible. But I made my point perfectly clear.
After that, they kept coming back. And never complained again. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.

ishoot308
03-22-2011, 08:27 AM
We have a policy at the VK for any complaints.......it is an opportunity to make a new friend.Doesn't matter who's fault it is.If something is sent back to the kitchen it is the managers responsiblilty to see that it gets top priority....even if we have to "steal" a meal from another party that is just coming out.
Sure,we've had meals come back that we know were perfect......but to argue the point just costs you a customer .Give them your full attention,an apology and make it right......most will appreciate it and come back.

And that's why your establishments are such a success!!

Dan

sa meredith
03-22-2011, 10:17 AM
I watched this happen last Fall at Guiseppis, while watching college football. I was surprised at how the bartender handled it...and when I tell people the story, I get 50/50 reactions...I can certainly see it from both sides. What happened:
A party of 4 or 5 came in and sat at the bar...a few standing and two sitting. They ordered drinks, and said they were waitng for the wives who were finishing shopping down stairs. Well, after 15 minutes, a gentleman was ready for his second, and when ordering, said, "you know what? My wife is two seconds away, let me have a ....(whatever) for her"...and the bartender made both drinks, leaving the wife's on the bar. Well, short time later, the wife comes in, and is handed her drink by the husband. And she says..."oh, no. I'm not drinking this weekend. I said it, and I'm sticking to it" .
The gentleman handed it back to the bartender, and explained. The bartender said, "well, is there anything wrong with it...does someone else want it?" (remember, they were a large party). Anyway...it had to get dumped, but the bartendar explained that he would not be able to take it off the bill...it was ordered, and made correctly.
The guy tried to get pissed...but all his buddies (4 or 5 guys) busted on him, and sided with the bartender.
I was surprised it was not dumped, and taken off the bill.
They all stayed, and got a table in the dinning room...so I guess it did not bother them that much.

Bigstan
03-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Assuming the bartender told them it would stay on the bill and then dumped it (and not vice versa) how can you not be OK with that?

It's not like you can pour the drink back in the bottle, they are taking a loss.
Why should they take the hit for your mistake, it's not like they did anything wrong.

Argie's Wife
03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
The real moral of your story, sa meredith, is:

Never assume you know what your wife wants!

magicrobotmonkey
03-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I had a situation where we sent the wrong take out order home with someone. It was entirely my fault, two similar orders came in close to each other and I didn't get a name. Before I had a chance to call the guy who had the wrong order, I recieved a *very* angry call. After listening to the party ranting about how awful the food they recieved was and how they were going to have to throw it all out, I was able to get a word in edgewise to ask "What can I do to make this right?" The man on the phone demanded that I put a double credit on the card he had used to pay! After camly informing him that I was unwilling (and probably unable) to do this, he let me know that he was in the hospitality industry and would be unable to recommend us to his guests if I didn't give him double his money back! After almost dropping the phone in shock, I was able to work with him by refunding his money and sending him a gift card to cover the cost of the meal he ordered.

So, has anyone heard of giving a double refund for food?

Heaven
03-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I had a situation where we sent the wrong take out order home with someone. It was entirely my fault, two similar orders came in close to each other and I didn't get a name. Before I had a chance to call the guy who had the wrong order, I recieved a *very* angry call. After listening to the party ranting about how awful the food they recieved was and how they were going to have to throw it all out, I was able to get a word in edgewise to ask "What can I do to make this right?" The man on the phone demanded that I put a double credit on the card he had used to pay! After camly informing him that I was unwilling (and probably unable) to do this, he let me know that he was in the hospitality industry and would be unable to recommend us to his guests if I didn't give him double his money back! After almost dropping the phone in shock, I was able to work with him by refunding his money and sending him a gift card to cover the cost of the meal he ordered.

So, has anyone heard of giving a double refund for food?Ahhhh. . . nooooo.

brk-lnt
03-22-2011, 12:25 PM
So, has anyone heard of giving a double refund for food?

That situation sounds to me like an asswipe trying to capitalize on an honest mistake.

RailroadJoe
03-22-2011, 12:58 PM
How awful was the food? Did they eat it and then throw what was left away, or did they throw all of it away. Sounds cheeky to me.

magicrobotmonkey
03-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Our menu is pretty small, and the orders were fairly similar, I think the complaints about awful food were to just make sure I knew they were not eating it, so I'd be more likely to offer a refund. At least that's all I can come up with, because he was happy enough to accept a gift card!

Bigstan
03-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Tell them that even an incorrect burrito is not a bad burrito (like there is such a thing as a 'bad' burrito ) :laugh:

Life's too short to worry about an incorrectly assembled burrito, or about those who would try and capitalize on one.

jsn
03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
You order a drink, the drink is served, you decided you don't like the drink, you owe for the drink.....Pay Up and Move On.....

SAMIAM
03-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Chip,I read your post and had to chuckle....you are absolutely right but most servers don't have sand enough to confront a customer who makes a game of complaining constantly.
My good friend Mike Love had such a customer when he was running Loves Quay in Wolfborough.The guy was a high roller from New Jersey who always came in with a large party.He seemed to enjoy showing off for his friends by loudly complaining about his meal.Week after week he would send back his entree.Mike got tired of trashing a $30 meal every time this guy came in and one night he saw his order come into the kitchen and personally prepared it and knew it was perfect.
Sure enough...he sent it back to the kitchen.
Mike Love was the most patient,generous and understanding guy you ever met,but he had enough of this guy.
He came out of the kitchen with a bus tray and cleared the table in front of him.....his drink,water, place setting and told the guy to hit the road......in front of a party of eight.
Same as your situation,the guy came back the following week,apologized and pleaded to come back.

SteveA
03-31-2011, 05:44 AM
Customers are too hard to find.

We operate under the old saying..... "the customer is NOT always right... but they are always the customer". If you want to keep that customer, you have to be willing to deal with returns.

We often have to return product that did just not work out for a customer. It's part of the deal. Frankly the cost of those returns are built into the pricing we present to all customers.

tis
03-31-2011, 08:13 AM
I have ordered drinks before when they are not sure how to make them. They will come back and ask them if they are ok. The vary, some are, some aren't but I would never dream of telling them to take it back. If it is sour, I will add some sugar (if it is a sweet drink). I have never had one too sweet. I guess if I really hated it, I would ask them to take it back but unless it was their mistake, I would expect to pay for it. They have offered to take them back before but I say it is ok. I do think it is nice for a restaurant to offer. You have to think more of them and be more apt to return. I guess I am odd in that I like to order different drinks.

jrc
03-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Thirty something years ago, I bought a Coke in a paper cup from a ice cream stand, I dropped it as I walked away from the counter. The guy called me back and gave me a free Coke. The place is long gone but I remember it.

Five or so years ago, my wife got in a stupid arguement with the girl at the ice cream stand in Alton Bay. Last summer she finally agreed to let me buy ice cream there again. The girl probably finished college by now.

Customers have long memories.

Newbiesaukee
03-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I think it all boils down to the old adage "If they like your service, they tell a friend. If they are unhappy, they tell seven friends."

Pam
04-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I've been very interested by this discussion. I think a restaurant, bar, etc. is very smart to offer to replace a drink or food item if the customer complains, no matter what the reason. That type of service gets remembered and probably pays off in the long run.

However, it seems really nervy and obnoxious to me for people to actually expect a replacement, or to send something back and want something for free, simply because they don't like what they ordered. I'd be embarassed to be with someone who did something like that.

If there's nothing actually wrong with the order, and it appears as it was described on the menu, it's just an unfortunate choice if the customer doesn't like it. Who hasn't this happened to?? If they want something else, they should expect to pay for it.

My two cents....

Lakesrider
04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
If there's nothing actually wrong with the order, and it appears as it was described on the menu, it's just an unfortunate choice if the customer doesn't like it. Who hasn't this happened to?? If they want something else, they should expect to pay for it.

My two cents....

LOL.....Like I did with my ex-wife......:D

SIKSUKR
04-06-2011, 12:21 PM
LOL.....Like I did with my ex-wife......:D

You sure it wasn't the other way around?:laugh: