PDA

View Full Version : XM Satellite Radio

Stan
03-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Anyone using an XM Satellite Radio in the lakes region? How is the reception and where did you get it installed? Do you like it?

Melvin Clarp
03-06-2004, 11:25 AM
I've used my XM Radio on several trips thru the Lakes Region. I get very good reception in most locations. The only difficulty I have is when I'm on a narrow road with very tall trees blocking the southwest sky. For example, there are a couple of places on Meredith Neck Road where the signal will occasionally drop out.

I have a first generation XM radio (November 2001); the reception may have improved in newer radios.

I purchased my radio from Crutchfield.com; a friend helped me install it. I'm very pleased with the result. By contrast, I chose to use Circuit City to install the XM radio in my wife's card. They did a very sloppy job which required substantial clean-up and re-wiring.

Jimbo
03-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Yes I have XM Radio and it works great all around the lake. I found momentary (10 seconds) loss of signal in several areas.They were on the back side on Mount Washington between Gorham and Maine on Route 2. I really enjoy the radio although if you have children there are some nasty channels you might want to have blocked when you subscribe for service. I'm from Western Ma, and had it installed at Long Radio. They were GREAT. Enjoy

Butch
03-07-2004, 12:17 AM
I have XM Radio in my car. For the most part, my reception around Winnipesaukee is fine and I am up there on a regular basis. The only place I can think of where I lose reception is over by Ellacoya in Gilford. There is one part of that road that is along a large hill (or small mountain) with tall trees and I lose it for about 10 seconds or so...but that is it. When it does go, it is typically very brief and far less annoying than the static sound you can get on the regular radio.

My XM is an older one, too....the Sony model that is not installed...it just plays through the cassette deck. The sound quality is still better than CD, however, and I absolutely love using it...especially on longer drives. They have some great channels and great music on each. I am extremely happy that I purchased it for my car and I know I will want it in my next car, as well.

gh@altonbay
03-07-2004, 08:19 PM
I just subscribed to XM Radio. It came with my new 2004 Malibu factory installed. I haven't tried it at the lake, but it worked throughout southern New England (RI and CT) and as far north as Marlboro, MA with no interference. Can't wait to test it at the lake.

Rose
03-08-2004, 07:55 AM
We tried it for a month mid-April to mid-May last year. Our route to work is tree-lined, and we discovered as leaf out came to full fruition, we had more and more drop outs. We decided to return it and cancel the subscription.

Treerider
03-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Does this XM radio also receive regular local radio broadcasts?? IE does it have a switch that converts over from Satelite to traditional broadcasts??

James Howard
03-08-2004, 11:45 AM
I have Sirius satellite, the reception has been excellent as far north as Lac-St.Jean QU To FL and CA. No adds. If you pay one year in advance, you'll get one month free.

Rose
03-08-2004, 11:53 AM
The one we had could not receive "regular" radio stations, and at the time we bought, none of them could. Don't know if it's available now, or possibly in the future.

gh@altonbay
03-08-2004, 01:17 PM
The radio has 5 bands:
1 AM
2 FM
2 XM satellite radio

I just have to hit the Band button to go from the AM/FM stations to the 2 satellite bands. What is nice is that there are 5 pre-set buttons for each of the 5 bands so I can store 25 different favorites on either AM, FM or satellite channels. For example for travel I keep all news CBS AM (NY) and WBZ (Boston) stored so I can hear the road reports on my trips from NJ to NH. I can also listen to CNBC, CNN, MSNBC, etc. on the satellite channels. If there is nothing exciting this radio also has a 6 CD changer.

SIKSUKR
03-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Can someone give us some costs for the service and the radios themselves. Thanks SS

gh@altonbay
03-09-2004, 11:25 AM
My satellite radio came installed in the new car. The service itself is $9.99 per month.

Charlie
03-09-2004, 12:31 PM
The XM radio came in my Yukon.I love it, great service around the lake. The basic service is $9.95 a month. My favorite station is channel 164 which is "old time radio" the radio serials from the 30's and 40's. It is well worth the price. Its nice to have options other than news and music.

GI Guy
03-09-2004, 01:26 PM
My XM Radio does not interfere with my regular radio. I can listen to XM, AM, or FM anytime I want to. I have not listened to FM radio since I got XM two year ago, though. I just find the music selection to be better with XM, all the stations are either commercial free or have very few commercials, and the sound quality is immensely superior.

Tim
03-09-2004, 04:51 PM
XM 153 is a grid lock favorite (comedy). I can do without the LA traffic station. I pay $24.99 quarterly.

Florida resident
03-09-2004, 10:21 PM
I have a 2004 GMC that came with the XM radio and I love it. Like someone else in this tread, I no longer listen to anything else but it. I travelled on a hunting trip in December to the St. James Bay area, almost to Hudson Bay and listened to the radio all the way up there. About 1400 miles north of Winnie to be exact. The radio played flawlessly and the only time I lost a signal, was when I was in the Laurentian mountains and driving alongside a ledge that went several hundred feet straight up, which apparently blocked the satellite for a short time. I prepaid a two year plan and it was less that 200 dollars that way. Just a FYI from a former Winni Boater..

Rattlesnake Gal
03-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Can you get the Red Sox games on it? That is one thing we miss when up at the lake.