PDA

View Full Version : Food that makes you think of the lake

Peter
10-20-2010, 05:42 AM
Is there a food that you only eat at the lake or makes you think of summers at the lake? For me, it has always been Fluffernutter sandwiches! My mom would always buy are jar of Fluff at the beginning of the summer and we thought it was a great treat. For some reason, we never had Fluff at home during the rest of the year.

Diana
10-20-2010, 06:30 AM
Blueberry pancakes, muffins, buckle, coffee cake, on cereal, .........

john60ri
10-20-2010, 07:10 AM
We buy a package of old fashioned crullers at Bob's Shur-Fine Market in Ashland, and have them in the morning with coffee. Made by the Koffee Kup Bakery in Vermont. Can't get them down here in RI. (From the Dutch word "krulle", meaning "twisted cake").

alisphunt
10-20-2010, 08:21 AM
I can't get fried clams here in Florida so anytime I am at the lake I make sure to get my fill. The other thing I have to have at the lake is maple sugar candy....so good!:D

WinnDixie
10-20-2010, 08:49 AM
...there's the lobster rolls and fried clams and baked stuffed shrimp, as well as frozen pudding ice cream and---ahhh---peppermint stick IC with chocolate jimmies! Can't get that here!

sa meredith
10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Lobster rolls...can take them or leave them. But while at the lake, always sure to have a few during the summer. This year, tried them at both Bob House and Red Hill Dari. Both great.
And doughnuts. Never have them during the rest of the year, but during summer...fresh made from Shaketts over at Newfound Lake at least 6 or 7 times.

jkjoshuatree
10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
I probably haven't had (or even thought of) either in over twenty years but those would be the two foods I think of when I think of the lake.

Great thread!!! :D

Newbiesaukee
10-20-2010, 01:55 PM
When food and Lake are mentioned, my first thought is always breakfast at Village Kitchen.

Argie's Wife
10-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I probably haven't had (or even thought of) either in over twenty years but those would be the two foods I think of when I think of the lake.

Great thread!!! :D

Fried bologna? For real? There's gotta be a story behind that one...

(And all I can think of is #$%$! bologna cups from school lunch in the 70's.)

joey2665
10-20-2010, 02:24 PM
A nice ice cold corona with a lime or any drink special in a pineapple on the deck at Town Dock.:liplick:

nj2nh
10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Breakfast at the Olde Bay Diner in Alton Bay. Their cinnamon raisin toast is a little piece of heaven.

Pulled port sandwiches from Dockside in Wolfeboro.

Turkey of any kind at Hart's in Meredith.

Sure, I can get pulled pork and turkey here in Jersey, but everything just tastes better up at the lake.

nj2nh

winnisummergal
10-20-2010, 03:16 PM
For me it's Bailey's Bubble black rasberry ice cream, fried clams, steamed lobster sitting on the patio of the Wolfetrap. No wonder I gain 5lbs everytime I go to Wolfeboro!!! :laugh:

Rattlesnake Guy
10-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Hot dog on the grill with lightly toasted roll.

Home made potato salad with onions bacon eggs and real Mayo.

Breakfast at the Alton Olde Bay Diner. (Meat lovers omelet with cheese and "Grilled" Texas Toast.)

Clam Strips and Onion Rings at Pops.

Fried Dough at the Pier @ Weirs.

Cold cut sandwiches on the boat with a new bag of chips.

House specialty at Harts.

Meatloaf Mac n Cheese at the Canoe.

Weiner-schnitzel at the William Tell.

Celia's home made chicken pie. (No peas... yea!)

Anything the kids cook when it's their turn.:D

SteveA
10-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Wow, Fried Bolonga and Egg sandwich. I still make those once and a while. :eek: I love fried bolonga.

Rag Top Daze
10-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Wow, Fried Bolonga and Egg sandwich. I still make those once and a while. :eek: I love fried bolonga.

Fried bologna is YUMMY! So is fried salami. Either one on lightly toasted English muffin bread lightly spread with mayo is a true treat!

jkjoshuatree
10-20-2010, 05:15 PM

No real story. My mom used to put butter in a pan then put the bologna in. When it browned a little and that weird elastic-y strip around the perimeter of the bologna curled, it was done.

What are bologna cups? That sounds nasty.
;)

phoenix
10-20-2010, 07:04 PM
lobster rolls but also at town docks black rasberry chocolate chip ice cream yummy yummy yummy you know you want some

winnitru
10-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I abstain from fried foods all year so that once each summer I can have fried clams at the Pinecone and a fried scalllop sandwich at the Wolfetrap. But nothing says summer to me like a temporary insanity ot The Restaurant.

KDL
10-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Vanilla malted milk shake at Red Hill Dari.

Argie's Wife
10-20-2010, 08:04 PM
No real story. My mom used to put butter in a pan then put the bologna in. When it browned a little and that weird elastic-y strip around the perimeter of the bologna curled, it was done.

What are bologna cups? That sounds nasty.
;)

Fried bologna, like you described, with a scoop of mashed potato in the middle and a ladleful of peas. (Read: Gov't Surplus food...)

jkjoshuatree
10-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Fried bologna, like you described, with a scoop of mashed potato in the middle and a ladleful of peas. (Read: Gov't Surplus food...)

.....eewwwwwww!

Airedale1
10-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Jelly donuts form the Yum-Yum Shop in Wolfeboro on a Sunday morning.

Nanoo
10-21-2010, 05:35 AM
lobster rolls, clam chowda

Argie's Wife
10-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Penny candy, sour pickles, and smoked cheeses from the Moultonboro Country Store.... that's where we'd go when I was a kid and we had the long car ride from Maine to Laconia... That store always brings back childhood memories with the creaky floors, and smells of cedar, sweets, and old wood.

Mr. V
10-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Real penny candy from the Pavillion at Lake Shore Park.

At least, they had it about five years ago.

We grew up on that stuff.