PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnake Island

Dave
08-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't own a home on Rattlesnake Island, but I'm very interested in hiking to the top of it. Is there a public dock on the island. If not ... how can I get access to the island.

Thanks,

Dave

Long Pine
08-17-2010, 12:03 PM
While there is property on Rattlesnake Island owned by the Lakes Region Conservation Trust, I don't believe it is publicly accessible (by non-residents of the island). It is listed on the LRCT website as being owned by them but is not in the section labelled "publicly accessible". I believe that a Rattlesnake resident mentioned on this forum that it was open to the public at one point but was abused and was subsequently closed.

Slickcraft
08-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Suggest you contact the LRCT by e-mail and ask them directly about access:

http://www.lrct.org/contact-us.html

I was under the impression that there was a plan to rebuild a dock with the idea of restoring public access but could be wrong on that.

MJM
08-17-2010, 05:05 PM
I haven't checked in several years, but there used to be access at each end, and the hiking trail went right down the middle so you weren't bother ing anyone.

Rattlesnake Guy
08-17-2010, 06:23 PM
I haven't checked in several years, but there used to be access at each end, and the hiking trail went right down the middle so you weren't bother ing anyone.

Not true. The island is owned in common by the owners of the lots around the island. The trust has a very large lot on the south east end. The island is private property and the best way to hike to the top is as a guest of one of the owners while parking at their dock.

This'nThat
08-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Not true. The island is owned in common by the owners of the lots around the island. The trust has a very large lot on the south east end. The island is private property and the best way to hike to the top is as a guest of one of the owners while parking at their dock.
I'd say, just swim there from the mainland, hike to the top, then swim back. Add in a bike trip, and you've got your own triathelon. :D

tis
08-18-2010, 09:15 AM
When I was little we used to hike to the top every year. I always looked forward to it.