PDA

View Full Version : Safe boating in April?

Sachems Cove Dude
03-04-2004, 06:57 PM
Is it generally safe to boat in the second week in April? Chunks of ice, debris, etc......???

Thanks

JTA
03-04-2004, 10:47 PM
There will probably be a very large chunk of ice during the second week of April. If not, YEA!!

b8tcaster
03-05-2004, 03:44 AM
In addition to ice chunks be on the lookout for floating debris early in the year. I always run across floating logs, remnants of docks, etc. after the ice goes out.

Best regards

Steve

diver down
03-05-2004, 06:36 AM
SCD,

Didint you just buy a new boat?? Take a ride out on the lake this weekend and look at the trash left behind. Then make your decision as to how soon you will want to drop that new boat in the water??

KPW
03-05-2004, 09:07 AM
This year there will most likely be a lot of debris floating when ice goes out. Use caution!!

Aquadeziac
03-05-2004, 12:09 PM
That 13 yr old must have a huge paper route to afford a new boat :)

The Commodore
03-05-2004, 01:28 PM
In early April you need to be on watch for ice chunks even after ice out is declared. Remember, you'll see only the tip of the ice berg. As others mentioned, there is always more debris in the water early in the season.

I thought the NH law restricted 13 year olds to motors 25 hp or under. A safe boating certificate does not mean you can take a larger size out by yourself until you are older. Maybe Skip can give us a synopsis of the RSA. I also heard of some 13 year olds who pass the NH course but will not get their card until they are older. This all may have changed. What's the story?

In any event. Safe boating to you and yes, watch for ice and debris in April.

The Commodore

MAXUM
03-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Early boating is great- no crowds, BUT debris in the water is a problem, depending on how early you go so is ice. Finally and most importantly know where you are because the ice can move markers around or better yet they often times get snapped off at water level for whatever reason over the winter time. Last thing you want to do is run into the rocks by mistake.

SIKSUKR
03-05-2004, 03:25 PM
You must be 16 to operate anything over 25 hp. SS

Sachems Cove Dude
03-05-2004, 03:47 PM
lol that was my son who posted that

Skip
03-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Commodore,

You are correct, you must be a minimum of 16 years of age to operate a boat of 25 hp or greater in NH. There is also the tiered age requirements for a boating safety certificate now in effect.

Rather than post the applicable RSAs I have posted the link to the Safety Services website that clearly explains the regulations.

By the way, you must be at least 15 years of age to take a recognized boating safety course in this State, with certificate to issue on your 16th birthday.

Finally, any certificate issued in another State must meet NH's minimum standards to enjoy reciprocity. Foe example, a State that gives a certificate to a youth less than 16 will not be a recognized boating certificate in this State.

Hope this helps,

Skip

NH Boater Education facts (http://www.nh.gov/safety/ss/boatedla.html)

Richdo
03-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Do out of staters need to take a safe boating test to use the lake?

Wary Boater
03-05-2004, 11:02 PM
There is a lot of debris in the water and little boat traffic. If you go into the water you are in trouble. Hyperthermia is quick , with water temps at 40 degrees, exhaustion set in within 15 minutes and your survival is in question at an hour.

Skip
03-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Out of state residents must meet the same requirements as NH residents. As has been previously noted, their is reciprocity for out of state certificates meeting NH requirements. The list does change and your best bet for reciprocity is to telephone Marine Patrol or Safety services direct for confirmation.

You can also take the temporary test and receive a 14 day certificate. The link I have provided gives the current locations in NH where the temporary test can be taken.

Skip

14 day certificate test locations (http://www.nh.gov/safety/ss/agentloc.html)

Sachems Cove Dude
03-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Alright, so what this means is: I have my Boating Safety card from MA. I can legally drive there, but I CANT drive a boat in a state that doesn't require anyone to wear helmets when riding on motorcycles!?

I'm certified in Massachusetts, but they wont accept a card from 100 miles away!?

Plus, who says those reckless idiots(if you own an offshore boat but are respectful when driving it, then pay no attention to this), in the offshore boats have any certification? If MP sees them driving like we've seen, they should revoke whatever license they have, if any (boating cert., drivers license, marriage license LOL!)

GWC...
03-06-2004, 05:19 PM
You may legally purchase items in NH without paying a sales tax - try doing that in Mass. LOL on you, if you do...

Rose
03-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Actually, it's not legal to purchase in NH without paying a sales tax if you are going to use the item in MA. MA wants you to voluntarily cough up the 5% to them. Stores in NH who deliver an item to MA are suppose to charge the sales tax and send it across the border.

GWC...
03-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Understand your point.

SCD's point was that in Mass he was legal; but not so in NH.

Sales tax wise, he would, as you point out, be legal in NH; but not so in Mass.

Gee, wasn't that my point - legal in NH; but not so in Mass?

Donzi
03-08-2004, 07:06 PM
To cut thru the crap... IF and thats a BIG if, your safe boating certificate from the MA meets or exceeds the requirements for a safe boating certificate in NH, then the answer is NO, you don't have to take another safe boating course. My advice to you, as you seem new to the lake is to take the course anyway. Just to brush up on all of the NH rules and regulations. There are quite a few that are different from the Democratic Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, and there have been a few law changes recently.

Reckless idiots drive all sorts of boats, not just offshore types. Its easy to blame the offshores, but the reality of the situation is they are less than 2% of the total boats on the lake. Anybody can rent a boat with no prior boating experience or knowledge. Thats why we now have a certificate requirement.

I don't see what motorcycle rules and regulations have anything to do with boating. The people of NH have voted not to have a motorcycle helmet law. The people of MA have voted to have a helmet law (completely unenforceable) and a host of other equally unenforceable laws. Your state, your laws... my state, my laws...

Welcome to the neighborhood, enjoy it, its a great place to be!

Donzi

John
03-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Donzi, I think you make an excellent valuable point. Laws change, so take the course. Hmmm but wait a minute what about the person that took the course three years ago in New Hampshire, laws have changed their also. I know ignorance of the laws are no excuse, but somehow, perhaps the state should include changes in the law with the boaters registration