PDA

View Full Version : Lobster Rolls 2010

Don
07-19-2010, 09:47 AM
What is the best Lobster Roll in the Lakes Region this year? Please post your reviews.

In past years there were lots of great Lobster Rolls being served at many places around the lake. Things change quickly in the restaurant business so it's time to revisit the subject.

I posted in the Pops Clam Shell thread that I had a rather disappointing lobster (salad) roll at Pop's in Alton Bay. Where should I try next?

ITD
07-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Sam and Rosie's, Center Harbor, around $17.00, big pieces of claw meat, excellent every time!!!

Janet
07-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Red Hill Dari, Center Harbor/Moultonboro. Also great clams.

VitaBene
07-19-2010, 11:06 AM
It might take a few extra minutes because he cooks the lobster to order.

Or swing by Bart's and make your own!

Lakepilot
07-19-2010, 01:29 PM
We just had a couple of Lobster Rolls from Harvest Market in Wolfeboro (the old Devylders) and they were as good as anything I've had around the lake. We paid $8.99 and I think they are regularly $9.99 (a Friday special I think). They were all lobster meat - no filling.

Argie's Wife
07-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Confession:

Forgive me, O Loberster Roll Gods, for I have sinned. While at Friendly's the other night with the kiddos, I partook of a lobster roll with fries and coleslaw for $11.99 and liked it. A lot. It was full of huge chunks of meat - almost all claw - and was most certainly Maine lobster. It was on lettuce, with a little mayo and tiny chunks of celery. Served in a hot buttered and toasted long hotdog roll it was pretty dang tastee.... I mean, it was pretty sinful.

Confession is good for the soul, right?

That lobster roll was darn good... no joke.

Shreddy
07-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Although I have no personal experience, a certain member joined the forum last summer to simply preach about The Bob House's lobster roll. There was never one more perfect and better priced anywhere. It wasn't possible...maybe consider checking it out? Oh, I believe this member has experience everywhere else and everywhere else was subpar and way overpriced...:D

Go figure, haven't seen LTSY posting around lately either...:confused:

Rattlesnake Gal
07-19-2010, 03:09 PM
We need pictures of these little gems! You will all have to go back and order another one. :liplick: We'll call it Operation Lobster Roll. :laugh:

NoBozo
07-19-2010, 06:12 PM
I have never had what I describe below but this would be NICE.

A very long hot dog roll grilled on both sides with about 4/10 to 1/2 pound of warm lobster dipped in drawn butter and inserted into the roll...maybe a little Garlic Powder and Dill...........:D :D

Just Dreaming...and Salivating...:) NB

EDIT: How about YOU describe to the waitperson .. Your Own Lobster Roll ..(Build Your Own)... and a price is quoted ....?? How would that work..?

sa meredith
07-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Not a huge lobster roll guy, but have to say, The Bob House has a fantastic one. Been there several times now, and quickly becoming a huge fan. Their lobster roll is quite good.

Bear Island South
07-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Confession:

Forgive me, O Loberster Roll Gods, for I have sinned. While at Friendly's the other night with the kiddos, I partook of a lobster roll with fries and coleslaw for $11.99 and liked it. A lot. It was full of huge chunks of meat - almost all claw - and was most certainly Maine lobster. It was on lettuce, with a little mayo and tiny chunks of celery. Served in a hot buttered and toasted long hotdog roll it was pretty dang tastee.... I mean, it was pretty sinful.

Confession is good for the soul, right?

That lobster roll was darn good... no joke.

D'Angelos has a pretty decent one for $9.99 and you can make it a Surf and Turf with a Steak and Cheese for $14.99 :D

twoplustwo
07-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Red Hill Dari's can't be beat! :liplick:

trfour
07-19-2010, 07:54 PM
What is the best Lobster Roll in the Lakes Region this year? Please post your reviews.

In past years there were lots of great Lobster Rolls being served at many places around the lake. Things change quickly in the restaurant business so it's time to revisit the subject.

I posted in the Pops Clam Shell thread that I had a rather disappointing lobster (salad) roll at Pop's in Alton Bay. Where should I try next?

Maybe somewhat off topic, though should anyone find a better Lobster Roll than what Waldo Peppers served at their old place on Weirs Blvd near the Beach, Please let us know!!!!
[ Even without the ((((( Hugs ))))), they were the best Dang Lobster Rolls on the planet, so far! ]... :liplick: :liplick: :liplick: :liplick:

Now, I even had my camera with me on occasion and never crossed my mind to take a picture of one. My guess is that they never lasted long enough, even the ones that I ordered To Go!

However, all is not lost because our very own WebMaster got hooked as well, and here is a pic that he took.

brk-lnt
07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
We've hit Sawyers a few times this year for lobster rolls and haven't been disappointed.

VtSteve
07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I've had many all over the place. I still think The Lobster Pound is the class of the lobster roll.

We "had" a great one on the water here in Vermont. This year, portions are way smaller, price is higher.

Give me chips and slaw and I'm happy.

Truthfully, I think most people latch onto a place they like and it become fantastic. I only love the food, surroundings are secondary. Sorry, but TLP is the best on all counts.
;)

Lucky1
07-20-2010, 01:48 AM
We like Sam and Rosie's the best but have not yet tried Kevin's. Actually went to several places here and tried the lobster rolls this year to see which was the best.

Don
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Just to make you all hungry and demonstrate what the perfect lobster roll (IMHO) looks like feast your eyes on this picture. Each year we attend a Lobster Bake in Boothbay, Maine. These rolls are made from 100% sweet, fresh Maine lobster. Best of all it's all you can eat! I won't admit to how many I ate last year as platter after platter came out. If a restaurant in the Lakes Region could duplicate this simple but delectable lobster roll I'd be a regular customer.

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab305/donzimmer/2006%20The%20Bake/100_1414.jpg

Waldo Peppers (now closed) came close but didn't contain Maine lobster (this is a double):

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/data/15074/100_1058.JPG

Lucky1
07-20-2010, 11:25 AM
When is the Lobster Bake in BoothBay and how much does it cost? About how far would it be from Moultonborough?

Heaven
07-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Probably unpopular, but I like a little "something" in the lobster salad that is in my (must be) toasted roll. Not a lot of dressing (but some!), and a little of this or that , , celery, , a herb or two (don't want to give away any ideas : ), , , otherwise we are simply looking at plain lobster. Not much to compare there except size and price which aren't really indicators of a great recipe.

Don
07-20-2010, 11:48 AM
When is the Lobster Bake in BoothBay and how much does it cost? About how far would it be from Moultonborough?Sorry, it's private.

VtSteve
07-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Great looking lobster there Don. But the rolls are small, some are schrunched, and they don't look toasted :eek:

You give me an untoasted lobster roll and I'm not very impressed.

Don
07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
the rolls are small

They are the perfect size on regular size hot dog rolls, the same size restaurants serve. You can eat as many as you want.

some are schrunched

???

and they don't look toasted

You can get them either way.

You give me an untoasted lobster roll and I'm not very impressed.The taste and freshness of these lobster rolls is very impressive to me.

NoBozo
07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I sent the picture of the platter of Lobster Rolls to my wife at work. Now maybe we can GO OUT Tonight for a Bite. :D :D NB

Fishin Fool
07-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Everyone's selling lobster rolls this summer, from $8.99 to $19.99, many of them delicious. The thing you need to inquire about is exactly how much lobster meat is in the sandwich. I've been asking and some have 4 oz, some 5 oz, some 6 oz and some have 8 oz of meat. Once you know that you can determine what kind of deal you are getting.

VtSteve
07-20-2010, 09:16 PM
The real bottom line is how much do you like it? Think of a blind taste test. Believe it or not, our (shhhhh) bowling alley has them for $6.95. They really are pretty great.

chipj29
07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Believe it or not, but the 99 actually has a decent lobster roll. Not the best I have ever had (that was at Waldos a few years ago), but it was pretty darn good. I also had one at the Airport Diner over by Manchester Airport. It was decent as well.

NHskier
07-21-2010, 07:38 PM
We had lunch today at Sam & Rosie's in Center Harbor and each had the lobster roll. It was great - same as ITD described, with big hunks of claw. On toasted roll with lettuce and a bit of mayo.

BlackCatIslander
07-21-2010, 10:11 PM
In this area they have the best lobster roll without question. We have tried others but none are as good.

kauriel
07-23-2010, 02:25 AM
I have never had what I describe below but this would be NICE.

A very long hot dog roll grilled on both sides with about 4/10 to 1/2 pound of warm lobster dipped in drawn butter and inserted into the roll...maybe a little Garlic Powder and Dill...........:D :D

Just Dreaming...and Salivating...:) NB

EDIT: How about YOU describe to the waitperson .. Your Own Lobster Roll ..(Build Your Own)... and a price is quoted ....?? How would that work..?

I once had a "clear" lobster roll near China Lake, Maine. There's a stand on route 3 that allows you to choose if you want mayo or butter on your lobster. I can't find the name of the place, but it looks like it's also referred to as Connecticut style.

We had no idea what clear meant, so it was a bit of a surprise when they came out with butter and I discovered that I prefer mayo to butter for lobster rolls!

Rattlesnake Guy
07-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Not a big fan myself but I am married to one.

Question: I always give some significant credit to the lobster or lobsters who contributed to the roll. How much is it just the luck of the draw and how much is the skill or technique of the cooking and preparation?

Argie's Wife
07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Not a big fan myself but I am married to one.

Question: I always give some significant credit to the lobster or lobsters who contributed to the roll. How much is it just the luck of the draw and how much is the skill or technique of the cooking and preparation?

I think it's more about the assembly of the roll... The lettuce has to be under the meat, between the meat and bread, so that the filling doesn't stick to the bread. The roll has to be buttered and lightly toasted - extra points for a good-quality roll that doesn't break when it's filled. The filling should have a little mayo - a little celery is okay if it's chopped up tiny - and if you must put paprika on the roll, please only use a little sweet paprika. The meat should be fresh, clean of as much shell pieces and all as possible and chunks - not shredded. A piece of lemon on the side is a must. :)

It's an art and a science! :D

trfour
07-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Difference.

Steaming lobster is actually preferred over boiling as it tends to tenderize the lobster meat especially for larger lobsters. Start off with a large stock or lobster pot and cover the bottom with 2" of generously salted water (ideally, sea salt). Bring water to a boil, place the lobster in head first and cover.
The cooking times.
<TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDTH: 100%; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(204,204,204)">Lobster Weight</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(204,204,204)">Cooking Time</TD></TR><TR><TD>1-1.25 lbs.</TD><TD>10-12 minutes</TD></TR><TR><TD>1.25 - 2 lbs.</TD><TD>12-18 minutes</TD></TR><TR><TD>2 - 3 lbs.</TD><TD>18-25 minutes</TD></TR><TR><TD>3 - 6 lbs.</TD><TD>25-40 minutes</TD></TR><TR><TD>6 - 7 lbs.</TD><TD>40-60 minutes</TD></TR><TR><TD>8 lbs. & over</TD><TD>7 minutes per pound.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
:liplick: :liplick: :liplick: :liplick:

Terry

hancoveguy
07-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Red Hill Dari has my vote. Might not be the best but I had one tonight and it was darn good. $11.95 for a grilled hot dog roll over flowing with lobster meat, a lil mayo a slice of lettuce and some fries. It was ready in about 3 minutes, then I washed it down with a kiddie soft serve cone for $1.75.

The only thing missing was the proverbial "diet soda"...

I would get another in a heartbeat.
HCG

Redwing
07-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Sam and Rosies is the best, with Red Hill Dari a very close second, and Kevin's a close third.

RI Swamp Yankee
07-28-2010, 09:46 PM
.... While at Friendly's the other night with the kiddos, I partook of a lobster roll with fries and coleslaw for $11.99 and liked it. A lot. .....

Which Friendly's ?

I just had a few good ones in Maine but that is not The Lake. In a couple of weeks I will be up near The Lake and will be trying as many as I can. :liplick:

Argie's Wife
07-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Which Friendly's ?

I just had a few good ones in Maine but that is not The Lake. In a couple of weeks I will be up near The Lake and will be trying as many as I can. :liplick:

I was in Rochester... but there's a Friendly's in Laconia, too.

VitaBene
08-03-2010, 10:30 AM
We decided to float and eat last Friday, so off to Bart's I went and picked up two 2 plus pounders, and steamed them up. I do all the prep work at home- cleaned the lobbies and cut the meat up, added a touch of mayo and put in a tupperware container, grilled and buttered the rolls, and hit the lake.

When we were ready to eat, I stuff them and:

eyenotall777
08-03-2010, 02:28 PM
We did the same thing, it was beautiful Friday:

VitaBene
08-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Awesome Eye, what a great night!

Stormking
08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Lobster rolls are on special all of August.

http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=9738276bc05241109e54efafd&id=d7d754666f

Stormking
08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs280.ash1/20731_254248464300_117920564300_3144114_1218461_n. jpg

VitaBene
08-05-2010, 01:31 PM
SK, I held my tongue when you posted the link ... and the rumor:rolleye2:

Stormking
08-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Busted, have a great summer:coolsm:

Argie's Wife
08-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Maybe someone here knows the answer to this one...

If you buy a one pound lobster, steam it, and shell it, how much meat can you expect to yield?

Just wondering... :)

pops
08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
A 1# lobster yields 3-4 oz. of meat. if they are hard shelled.

VitaBene
08-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Maybe someone here knows the answer to this one...

If you buy a one pound lobster, steam it, and shell it, how much meat can you expect to yield?

Just wondering... :)

AW you should be able to get a decent lobster roll out of a 1 pounder.

chipj29
08-06-2010, 07:09 AM
We decided to float and eat last Friday, so off to Bart's I went and picked up two 2 plus pounders, and steamed them up. I do all the prep work at home- cleaned the lobbies and cut the meat up, added a touch of mayo and put in a tupperware container, grilled and buttered the rolls, and hit the lake.

When we were ready to eat, I stuff them and:

So hey, VitaBene ole buddy...when does the lobster roll cruise depart this weekend? :D

Lucky1
08-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Has the MOST DELICIOUS LOBSTER MEAT!! I learned about this only today. A neighbor whose opinion I respect, told me that he had gotten a pound of lobster meat at Wining Butcher and had made four delicious rolls. I decided to stop in at Wining Butcher after I finished my shopping at Hannaford. I purchased eight Country Kitchen Frankfurt rolls while at Hannaford that were in a package marked 2/$4.00 along with my blueberries, magoes, fresh cooked turkey breast (instead of the chickens) and Chobani no fat yogurt, asparagus etc.
I then crossed the street and got gas and went to Wining Butcher. I had never been there. The woman beside me got two very large chicken parm breasts for $10.45 for both. I was amazed and told her that was a good deal. She said they were delicious. The lobster meat looked great so I took a chance and got a pound. It is $22 something a pound. I came home and made THREE STUFFED ROLLS for our dinner. They were wonderful. I would not make four if you like your lobster roll really stuffed!
So I am now casting two votes. If you like to have it all made for you and eat at a restaurant, then Sam and Rosie's is my favorite. Those cost $17.95 each plus tax and tip, and come with fries or cole slaw. Wining Butcher is my favorite if you want to take the meat home and make your own. (Just stuff the meat into the rolls!)
We like to have people in for lobster rolls for lunch at the water on a nice day. Will get a Hart's blueberry pie and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

ClosetExtrovert
08-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Shibley's? They definitely have the best cole slaw...

CKB
08-31-2010, 02:58 PM
I cannot comment for the best but definately can on the worst.
Wolf,s Tavern in Wolfboro. It arrived as an untoasted roll filled with lobster mush. They must have put the lobster in a grinder.:(

Grady223
09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Downtown Grille in Wolfeboro (recently sold and move to Main Street) no questions asked absolutely the best!

RI Swamp Yankee
09-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I haven't sampled enough around the lake recently to claim to be an expert but I was well satisfied :liplick: with the one I had recently at Red Hill Dari and the fries and slaw included were also excellent.

(I posted this picture in the Red Hill Dari thread)
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4098&stc=1&d=1281980039

donnamatrix
09-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Stopped there Monday, after extensive allergy testing to ensure I have no allergies to seafood .... long story, but haven't had seafood all summer - so, tests show no allergies - MUST have lobster roll. Tilt'N Diner was a little pricey at $17, but wow-two huge scoops of lobster salad, very little mayo, tiny bit of celery. Too big to eat with hands ... had to use utensils. It was fabulous.

Argie's Wife
09-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Wednesday nights at Lone Oak in Rochester the lobster rolls are on special for something like $8/each (normally $10.99) and they are to die for! Their ice cream is made on site and rocks, too.

http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a02/6p/vs/lobster-rolls-bargain-price-1.1-120X120.jpg

Yeah, R'chester isn't exactly the Lakes Region but I had to share this gem of a place with all y'all... especially whereas today is Wednesday. :D

http://www.lagos-lone-oak.com/2008%20Rochester%20Home.html

ITD
09-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Sam and Rosie's

SIKSUKR
09-02-2010, 12:51 PM
You guys don't go to D'Angelos?:laugh:

Belmont Resident
09-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Town docks in Meredith. Took the day off and stopped in last Wednesday for lunch. Friend got the clam plate and I got the lobster roll. 4 small chunks of lobster about a tablespoon each lined the roll. More lettuce than lobster.
On the upside the clams were excellent as were the Sams Summer.

Pineedles
09-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Dollars to donuts, Red Hill Dari in Centre Harbor is the best taste and deal.:coolsm:

Argie's Wife
09-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Since we've already had a thread like this over the summer, with some great photos of yummy samplings from the season, I think this link will help: HERE. (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10407&highlight=friendly%27s)

Redwing
09-09-2010, 08:19 AM
I took someone's suggestion on this Forum, and bought lobster salad at the Whining Butcher and it was outstanding. Absolutely delicious, & made my own lobster rolls which - if I do say so myself - rivaled Sam and Rosies, which in my opinion are the best of the best.

Belmont Resident
09-09-2010, 07:05 PM
While I've experianced them a few times but not in the past year or so they are a little pricey for my budget. The tips are awsome and if I could afford them more I would but $8 or $9 a pound doesn't get me much bang for my buck after they are quickly devoured. Can't say enough about how good they are but I just can not afford them except for special occasions.
The last time was the send off party for my son going over seas.

Redwing
09-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Yes, at $22.00/pound the Lobster salad was a bit pricey, but worth every dollar, and I was able to assemble 4-5 very generous lobster rolls on a pound and one-half of the Whining Butcher lobster salad. Not bad when you consider that lobster rolls range in price in the Lakes Region from a low of ca. $10.00 to a high of $17.00/18.00 each, and it was truly outstanding lobster salad. I added a dollup of potato salad to the plates, some chips, seedless grapes, and nice pickles....made a very nice presentation and was delicious. I will return next summer to enjoy some more! :cool:

Sidewinder
09-10-2010, 07:37 PM
The lobster Pound best lobster rolls I've had to date, full of complete lobster tail claws you name it! I call it the lazy mans lobster becasue its like you get 2 lobsters for the price of 1.

RI Swamp Yankee
09-10-2010, 10:01 PM
.. full of complete lobster tail claws ....
I didn't know lobster tails had claws. :laugh:

Lucky1
09-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Told neighbors about Wining Butcher lobster meat for lobster rolls recently and they invited us to dinner and guess what they served? Delicious lobster rolls with the Wining Butcher lobster meat along with a nice salad and an ear of corn.

They had Wining Butcher pasteries (had a selection and cut each into four parts so we could all try the different ones). We all agreed the pasteries were not very good. I mentioned the pasteries to another friend who had told me about the Wining Butcher and she agreed that the pasteries need much improvement.

Moulton Farm pies are my favorite dessert especially the wild blueberry served with Brigham's vanilla ice cream. We also like the Hart's blueberry pies.

I sure wish that there had been some wild blueberry bushes for that Forum Fest Raffle that some of the Islanders have and say are wonderful. Oh well........maybe next year.

Janet
09-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Moulton Farm pies are my favorite dessert especially the wild blueberry served with Brigham's vanilla ice cream. We also like the Hart's blueberry pies.Their Country Apple Pie is the best! Both filling and crust have a maple flavoring. We had more than our fair share of this pie while at the lake last month.

trfour
09-12-2010, 01:23 AM
What I ever got to enjoy, were built by Waldo Pepper's! Barr None!

' A HUGE LOSS To me, since I spend most of my time retired in Dallas/Fort Worth these days '. They ain't got no lobsters down here, [ Again, My Loss ]...

However, I 'Doo have some memory left, and them Two cooked the Best!!
Terry